Why Is It That...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syruss32

Reaction score
I have just recently starting diving, and am in the process of getting my gear. I have a BCD on the way now I want to get the Regulator/Octo/Guages.

I wonder why more places don't sell these all together. Seems everyone sells you specials with a BCD and all of this.

I am a big guy so I need a larger size BCD and not many people manufacture XXL's so a combo with all this is usually not something I could order.

Is there somewhere that I can order all the parts together as a group. It seems to me you would want all one manufacturer for all of this, so combos set up with say "good" "better" "best" would be a better way to sell as well as by piece for those looking for specific items or replacements.

Just my 2 cents.

Syruss32
scubadiver@coraladventures.net
http://www.coraladventures.net

Hi Syruss - most of the larger dive operations should cater for all sizes and shapes. Have you tried any of the larger online suppliers? Many of them will consider quoting you on a package if you email or phone them with your requirements. Suggestions are Dive Inn or Simply Scuba although I suspect that there are others out there. Not personally bought anything from either outfit but others on the board have sung their praises.

Hope this helps.

PS Don't feel you have to buy all your kit from the same manufacturor to get a package deal - list the goods you want and ask them to quote their best package.

My Not So Local DS (I would rather drive the extra hour than deal with the shops that are closer), gave me dicounted prices for buying my gear all at once. I put together my own package. You could ask if they would do this. I saved a couple hundred off their regular prices, and about $450 from what the shops closer to home would have charged.

Tavi

Hey Syruss,

Like the others said, just put the best (in your opinion) pieces together and have the LDS quote you for the package you've created.

For example, many people prefer the Zeagle Ranger BC while electing to go with the Apeks line of regulators and the Suunto computer. Others,equally knowledgeable would select and entirely different group of mfrs. Go with what works best for you, regardless of the manufacturer.

Tavi's experience was mine as well.

Since you're near to me, I can inform you that the LDS that I choose to patronize is Sand and Sea Scuba at the corner of Walnut and Abrams (next to Richland College, and not far from Greenville and LBJ).

I did a "mass purchase" as well and got excellent service. I chose the Zeagle Ranger BC because of its ability to carry me through recreational and technical diving, and that all the components are modular so that a custom fit is possible. And that is exactly what Harold did for me. I also got the Zeagle Tech50D Regulator, the TX50 Second for my octo, the Genesis Computer I wanted (ReACT), and console/gauges/compass. And Harold even threw in about $200 (retail value) worth of free accessories

And all of this for a very reasonable price, including a slight discount off the top for buying everything at once.

So if you are experiencing the "places that don't sell these all together", I'm thinking you are not in the right shops. I know many of the better shops in the Dallas area, so if you will e-mail me and let me know what you are looking for (both in gear and type of LDS), I will recommend a good place.

On HeadsUp's comments, I would like to counter in this fashion: Unless you R E A L L Y know what you are looking for, and do not require the skills of a shop for post sale tweaking of your purchase, try to avoid buying key life support equipment online. It's okay for accessory items, but it has been my experience personally, and with other dive buddies, that the support of the LDS for your life support equipment can be a key thing in ensuring your satisfaction with your purchase.

When you join us at Athens, I would like for you to bring your questions up during a surface interval. It would make for good conversation and the members of the Swamp Divers are a good group to help you get both the type of gear you want, and the service you deserve.

If I can help you more, please be sure to ask.

Just out of curiousity, what BC did you end up getting? Most manufacturers don't make XXL BCs, but sell adjustments and extenders separately.

We have had quite a few requests for XXL, and have had the different adjustments in stock. Needless to say..this doesn't give the customer the "instant gratification" they are looking for. Is there a manufacturer that makes XXL BC (besides Zeagle)?

Hey, SB!

Both Dive Rite and SeaTec make XXL+ BCs.

~SubMariner~

I got a Dacor Flyt Pak. Dacor also makes a 2X in the Nautica line. I am hoping it will be here in time for diving this weekend!

I can use an XL but it is pretty snug, and I would also prefer weight-integrated as I have a big middle and a skinny butt which makes the weight belt hard to adjust.

I will let you all know how it turns out.

syruss32
scubadiver@coraladventures.net
http://www.coraladventures.net

As does the Zeagle Ranger harness and Cumberbund.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom