Why is learning to scuba so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm... let's see.. a rough approximation of the costs up to, and including, DM training (total diving spend) - over the space of (the first) 10 years:

Courses
Open Water - 450.00
Advanced Open Water - 300.00
Rescue Diver - 350.00
Deep Diver - 250.00
Drysuit Diver - 200.00
Nitrox Diver - 250.00
Wreck Diver - 300.00
EFR w/AED - 250.00
Divemaster - 750.00

Sub-Total -3100.00 GBP

Equipment
Apeks Regulators - 550.00
AP Valves BCD - 450.00
Mares Fins - 55.00
Cressi Mask x2 - 75.00
Suunto Vyper - 250.00
Bodyglove Drysuit -850.00
4th Element Undersuit - 85.00

Sub-Total -2315.00 GBP

Diving
240 Dives (@ 30) - 7200.00
Air Fills x 240 (@2) - 580.00

Sub-Total - 7780.00

Approx Total Spend (10 years from OW to Divemaster), mostly diving in the UK -13,195 GBP

*Not including air-fare, car petrol, dive insurance, small items and maintenance/service of kit.

Really.... that was cheap. It didn't start getting expensive until I started on the technical diving route. Post-Instructor/DM qualification (the last 10 years), I spent a lot more on kit, but most of my (4500+) subsequent dives were free/paid for.

If asked how much of my money I've spent on scuba diving in the last 20 years, my honest answer would have to be "most of it".

Seriously....

This is a good approximate of what I have purchased and spent the past 14 years of diving.

Maybe 15 percent less since I am in Ohio. Don't own a drysuit yet.

My DM class was $550 US including book.

I am a big believer in training. Anytime I can dive with an Instructor who has 3000 dives under his/her belt, I consider it a wise investment.

Keep divng. Dive in a variety of places that budget allows.

How about compared to the costs of scuba training 15 to 20 years ago.

In the mid '90s, OW training ran about $100. A couple years later, I paid less than $50 for Nitrox training.

What has caused the cost to go up 4 fold in less than 20 years?

Come on, get real. A loaf of bread also used to cost a dime and a gallon of petrol 0,33 USD. In the 70's a car cost 6 months ave wages now a comparable vehicle is a year's. Every time I purchase goods in my business the costs go up, never down. I think the only sector where goods are cheaper is in consumer electronics.

My OW course cost 150 but by the time I was done is was closer to 500 with mask, fins, snorkel, etc. Nitrox in 95 cost me $200 and I had to travel to Florida from Ky to do it.

Learning to dive is really not that expensive compared to learning other life threatening sports such as hang gliding or flying flying, in fact it's a down right bargain.

When someone complains to me about cost I just tell them to find another instructor. I don't work for free or minimum wage. If one is worrying about the fee then they aren't paying attention to me and I don't want them to buy the bullet. My name is on the card.

I apologize for the rant, but....

Safe Diving

Dale

Open Water @225.00
AOW 130.00
Rescue 189.00
Divemaster 800.00
1344.00 Total (I think its early still)

I guess I got out lucky :)

Last edited:
How much did it cost you guys then to get to divemaster level or better? if you calculate everything I mean absolutely everything? because you have to have a certain amount of dives as well don't you? as for getting my driving licence it cost me about £300, horse riding unknown. I've been quoted £4,000 to get to divemaster in egypt that incl everything. I would be happy to pay £1700 for everything up to divemaster is that possible?

I have done package deals like this but the total cost is more that 1700 GBP or 2500 US. The instruction (including books and 3 pics) alone assuming you would be working 6 days a week on DM would cost you closer to 2000 GBP and this does not include additional fees for required pleasure dives. Nor does it include the cost of purchasing your own gear. I have never and probablly would never do a DM Course with someone who did not have their own gear(others may) Nor does it include room and board. At a minimum you would need to allot 3 months to get through it.

In general it is best to have a significant amount of diving experience prior to enrolling in a DM course.

You can probablly find an inexpensive package deal in either Thailand, Egypt, Philippines or Guam,, but the other costs will vary greatly depending on where you choose.

Cheers,
Roger

I agree. Although I can relate to the fact that becoming a Dive Master takes work, money, and experience, it is still a pretty big commitment in terms of dollar amount... Especially in today's economic market, I find myself struggling with the obligation to pay for necessities (rent, water, electric, car, food) and the desire to do cool and exciting hobbies/adventures.

If you work in or around the industry, you may be able to get staff courses.

For example if you're working in the hotel here, you'll only pay for the PADI fees. But the time it will take will be much longer as the instructors will not be working to fit your schedule.

But if you know nobody or aren't working in a related industry, the cheapest will still be in SE Asia. Just be aware that the cheapest courses are "the cheapest courses". The industry is saturated with tourist DMs and instructors who work or freelance for free before going back to their normal lives. If you speak a couple of languages, you can find work more easily.

In order to work straight out of your DM course in SE Asia, you'll need to be the kind of guy that stands out- has a big voice without a big ego.... or a twenty year old blonde chick with a big smile...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom