Why is Little Cayman diving considered better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info, but y'all are kind of making my point for me. What I love about LC is something that you just can't quite get on GC. You can get most of it, but I would have to make some concessions to get it all.

I have done similar AIs on Roatan years ago, and while they were good trips, the diving there just isn't as good as LC to me, and I hate the style. At least when we were there, it was guided drift diving where you were expected to stay together with the group and follow the guide. I HATE that kind of diving. It is a big part of why I haven't gone back to Coz. I like the place, like the diving conditions...hate the diving style. I don't really need the shore diving as long as I can get an afternoon dive if I want it. For me, shore diving is just more work unless you are diving at an on-site operator where you can step in off their dock. When it comes to loading gear and tanks into a rental, driving somewhere, suiting up, etc. it is just more work than I really want to do if I have other alternatives.

I am not knocking it if other folks don't feel the same way. I know my tastes may be odd to some who love drift diving, unlimited shore diving, and going out to different restaurants for every meal. There are places that I want to go in the future where I know some or all of that will be part of the deal. But when it comes to an effortless easy trip for me, LC gives me everything I want in one package...except mantas and whale sharks. I used to have dolphins on that list, but after this last trip they fixed that. There were two dolphins hanging around the lagoon all week.

I don't disagree with you Aggie, my family and I have been going to LCBR at least once per year for the past 10 years. No matter where else we go on a dive trip, we always seem to drift back there. The AI self contained vibe is definitely part of the attraction as is the quality of the dive op and the diving. It is, IMO, both the best diving in the Caribbean and the easiest.

...There is no shore diving at Brac Beach or LCBR locations. I think Pirates Point has access to the southern reefs/wall on LC but I have no personal experience.

On CB, I know that both Reef Divers and Brac Scuba Shack will rent tanks to divers for shore diving, but you will need a car.

On CB, I know that both Reef Divers and Brac Scuba Shack will rent tanks to divers for shore diving, but you will need a car.
I will be on Cayman Brac from the 23rd-30th, my 1st visit there. I'm staying at CBBR and plan to do the 17 day dives and whatever night dives I can get in. I will not have a car but will be spending some of my free afternoon time riding a bike around and checking out some of the shore diving sites, maybe I'll see some of the new signage. I've only recently heard about the shore diving opportunies on CB, this may play a role in any decision to return in the future. I have taken advantage of the really fine shore diving opportunities on Grand Cayman at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point, and Cobalt Coast on many occasions, both day and night.

I will be on Cayman Brac from the 23rd-30th, my 1st visit there. I'm staying at CBBR and plan to do the 17 day dives and whatever night dives I can get in. I will not have a car but will be spending some of my free afternoon time riding a bike around and checking out some of the shore diving sites, maybe I'll see some of the new signage. I've only recently heard about the shore diving opportunies on CB, this may play a role in any decision to return in the future. I have taken advantage of the really fine shore diving opportunities on Grand Cayman at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point, and Cobalt Coast on many occasions, both day and night.

I think I remember reading that you are required to use a "diver down float flag" when you shore dive on CB, but I am not sure about that. (Maybe because they get fewer shore divers than GC and want to make sure that the boaters are aware?) You might want to ask about it in the dive shop. It would probably be cheaper to bring one with you then to buy it on Brac.

... I have taken advantage of the really fine shore diving opportunities on Grand Cayman at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point, and Cobalt Coast on many occasions, both day and night.

Next time you are on GC, the Hepp's Pipeline site at Coconut Bay Condos is another great shore dive, and in summer months you may see the masses of silversides at Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto.

Next time you are on GC, the Hepp's Pipeline site at Coconut Bay Condos is another great shore dive, and in summer months you may see the masses of silversides at Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto.
I have dived Hepp's Pipeline, a very good dive. I dived Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto several times in the late 90s, early 00s but then the sites got more beat up and I tired of going downtown. My last 4 visit's to GC were spent at Cobalt Coast and Compass Point.

I think I remember reading that you are required to use a "diver down float flag" when you shore dive on CB, but I am not sure about that. (Maybe because they get fewer shore divers than GC and want to make sure that the boaters are aware?) You might want to ask about it in the dive shop. It would probably be cheaper to bring one with you then to buy it on Brac.
I'll inquire about the flag. I'm very used to taking one as much of my local diving is drift in Boynton Beach. If required, perhaps they rent them. One of my flags breaks in two but the float still takes up space. Perhaps this would be a good use of an inflatable float and flag? I'll let you know what I find out. I will not likely have an opportunity to shore dive this visit

I'll inquire about the flag. I'm very used to taking one as much of my local diving is drift in Boynton Beach. If required, perhaps they rent them. One of my flags breaks in two but the float still takes up space. Perhaps this would be a good use of an inflatable float and flag? I'll let you know what I find out. I will not likely have an opportunity to shore dive this visit

You do need a flag to shore dive off Cayman Brac. They rent them at CBBR for something like $5/day. As it is not drift diving, apparently, most people just anchor it, dive around the area, and pick it back up on the way in. As I will not be diving today due to wind and seas from Tropical Storm 18, I'm going for a bike ride on the north side to see what I can see, maybe some of the new signs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom