Why Kydex?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cool_hardware52:
... and do not have the overmoled grommets at the harness slots.

oh, the grommets were one of the things I liked about your SS plate. Is the deburring process sufficient to prevent wear on the webbing?

Adobo:
oh, the grommets were one of the things I liked about your SS plate. Is the deburring process sufficient to prevent wear on the webbing?

The Kydex plates are much easier to deburr, and each slot is prety well radiused. The SS reinforcements are oversized, i.e. the slots in the SS are larger than the slots in the Kydex. That means webbing does not bear on the edge of the stainless, just the kydex.

Well rounded plastic is pretty kind to webbing.

Tobin

Tobin,

One other difference in the design vs. your steel plates is the lack of extra cam slots for independent doubles. I kind of wish mine had them, but I really like my kydex plate. And then I would have had to either spend more money on one of your doubles wings or perform surgery on my doubles wing :wink:

With a single it flexes a little, for example if you inflate your wing all the way on the surface, but it is not uncomfortable at all.

Haven't used my new kydex plate with doubles yet but I am looking forward to it next weekend.

cool_hardware52:
Jim,

I'm not sure I understand your question. The differences between Kydex an aluminum was the topic of my first post.

Tobin

Hey Tobin,
sorry about the confusion, I guess what I meant was, Would you use Kydex instead of aluminum if you had a choice? And in re-reading your posting I think I got my answer.
I'm "window shopping" for a new plate too.
Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom