Why move a valid trip report with pictures of problems, to Whine and Cheese?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't we keep W&C as it is and simply add a Thumbs Down forum? I always saw W&C as a place to vent. Thumbs Down seems more like a dumping ground for negative reports.

Who are the users that felt "whine and cheese" should be renamed? There's a regular bunch of us here on this thread baffled by the change.
Mostly the people who find their threads put in that forum. It's been a problem since its genesis. No one likes their thread moved, and the name comes across as insulting to them on top of that. The scope of the forum has not changed in the least.

Can't we keep W&C as it is and simply add a Thumbs Down forum? I always saw W&C as a place to vent. Thumbs Down seems more like a dumping ground for negative reports.
Again, nothing has changed about W&C except for the name. Here is the forum's description:

Thumbs Down
The Thumbs Down forum is the place to vent your frustration and not necessarily expect a resolution to your problem. Criticize, moan, lament, sound off, disapprove, find fault, denounce, remonstrate, or deplore, but flaming and trolling, are, as always, no-goes.

The forum was originally created to hold problematic posts. Rants/vents certainly fit comfortably within that purview. Personally, I find the comments about not being "fair and balanced" a bit naive if not short sighted. It appears that these users only want to look at "fair and balanced" in a manner that allows anyone to attack a business on ScubaBoard but not that protects a business from having ScubaBoard used as leverage to get a better resolution. Again, if all we wanted to do was to eliminate anything negative, then we would simply delete any pernicious commentary including anything that criticizes ScubaBoard. To be sure, most forums simply don't allow this kind of open malcontent. Me? I think being as transparent as possible is invaluable and generates trust. To that end, moderators are not allowed to edit any post containing criticism of me or of ScubaBoard. I'm the only person on ScubaBoard you can flame and not be censured for it. Everyone else is protected.

Last edited:
Me? I think being as transparent as possible is invaluable and generates trust.

Aye, there's the rub.

I believe that most people believe that what you have done is in fact not transparent. What you have done is moved a VERY well written and substantiated post about the good and the bad of an operation and hidden it away. What is transparent about that? There were photos to support about everything they complained about. The Charter did not want that complaint "Around" so it got moved. There is absolutely nothing transparent about that. The fact that the operator chose to not reply publically.....that is their choice and should not direct SB to relocate and bury the thread.

The name? I like to joke but I could care less if it is W&C or Thumbs Down. What matters is how things are handled elsewhere on the board and the "hiding of a legitimate gripe" is how you (the board) chose to handle that.

Sorry Steve,

We've told you that the post is problematic. Anything further and we would have to violate our rules about privacy for others. While you like to smear and dog pile users, I don't play that game. I'm not going to air the dirty laundry between these two: that's up to them and them alone. We can only be transparent about our actions: not others.

While you like to smear and dog pile users, I don't play that game.

Whatever....just you for now.....I am tired of your BS......What an idiot

Sorry Steve,

We've told you that the post is problematic. Anything further and we would have to violate our rules about privacy for others. While you like to smear and dog pile users, I don't play that game. I'm not going to air the dirty laundry between these two: that's up to them and them alone. We can only be transparent about our actions: not others.

I've been quietly watching this ever since I raised the question and while the move STILL does not make sense *to me* (I can't see it happening for ma and pop 6 pack down the street) I've kept my mouth shut bc an *attempt* at a reasonable argument has been made, at least.

however... Whatsup with this personal attack on scuba steve? I do not know him from Adam but I think it's a personal attack to say he likes to dogpile and smear users isn't it? Not that he needs me to defend him but it just strikes me as odd/ironic.

I've been quietly watching this ever since I raised the question and while the move STILL does not make sense *to me* (I can't see it happening for ma and pop 6 pack down the street) I've kept my mouth shut bc an *attempt* at a reasonable argument has been made, at least.

however... Whatsup with this personal attack on scuba steve? I do not know him from Adam but I think it's a personal attack to say he likes to dogpile and smear users isn't it? Not that he needs me to defend him but it just strikes me as odd/ironic.

Pete has dropped posts like that all over the board. This is not the first or even likely the 100th time. Hence my reply. Pete has his own rules he lives by....and they are VERY different than everybody else's rules.

In many cases mods do some thread house keeping removing such comments and then post of warning that continued comments will get the thread moved. That was never done in this case. So with that in mind, let me suggest that some house keeping be done, when completed the thread is then placed back into the original forum, and then locked.

Hmmm, seems that in the fray of things my above observation and suggestion was missed.

Its an observation about his posting style. An attack (flame) would be calling someone an idiot.

It seems that Steve is all about unfettered freedom of speech up until someone posts anything negative about him. Then its no longer 'fair and balanced'.

Last edited:
An attack would be calling someone an idiot.

Glad it did not go unnoticed. You push and push Pete....It was inevitable. You have accomplished what you wanted.Do not waste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom