Why name brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am OK with buying the stuff that involves life support or is integral to the dive manufactured by the name brand scuba dive manufacturers, reg, mask, fins BD etc but I do not see the reasons for buying scuba manufacturer branded stuff for other equipment.

For example there is a thread on tech shorts, I just dive with board shorts that have similar sized cargo pockets, cost less than 1/20 the cost of the tech shorts.

Wet suits, you can get these at Costco for a quarter of the price of ones through a dive shop.

I bought several pairs of neoprene gloves from Loews for $2.50 each. Branded gloves were $25 to $50 a pair.

Yes the branded stuff might be more durable, but gloves will get cut on rocks or get lost just as quick at ten times the price.

Even non branded stuff from a dive shop is much more expensive. Barrel clips, in good grade stainless are less than half the price at a hardware store as a a dive shop.

I am willing to support the local dive shops because there can be value added in their services, but buying stuff costing multiples of the price of what be just as serviceable simply does not make sense to me.

I am OK with buying the stuff that involves life support or is integral to the dive manufactured by the name brand scuba dive manufacturers, reg, mask, fins BD etc but I do not see the reasons for buying scuba manufacturer branded stuff for other equipment.

For example there is a thread on tech shorts, I just dive with board shorts that have similar sized cargo pockets, cost less than 1/20 the cost of the tech shorts.

Wet suits, you can get these at Costco for a quarter of the price of ones through a dive shop.

I bought several pairs of neoprene gloves from Loews for $2.50 each. Branded gloves were $25 to $50 a pair.

Yes the branded stuff might be more durable, but gloves will get cut on rocks or get lost just as quick at ten times the price.

Even non branded stuff from a dive shop is much more expensive. Barrel clips, in good grade stainless are less than half the price at a hardware store as a a dive shop.

I am willing to support the local dive shops because there can be value added in their services, but buying stuff costing multiples of the price of what be just as serviceable simply does not make sense to me.
Here's another little secret. Almost all of the dive gear comes from a handful of manufacturers and then gets rebranded. Look closely at different items and you'll find some are identical and others the same, but with better quality raw products.

I want what works. There's three thing that I would always buy from actual scuba name brands. Tanks, regs and computers. Everything else is personal preference and there's no reason to not use products unrelated to scuba. Many do, including myself.

You keep telling yourself that.

The neoprene on your Costco wetsuit isn't near the premium neoprene on some of the finer suits.

You'll have a different idea when your hardware store stainless clips with their non-stainless springs seize up on you the second time you take them out.

There are many things experienced divers re-purpose into diving. Many.

But some things are purpose made for the job at hand.

Enjoy that Costco wetsuit 50 or 100 dives from now when the seams are releasing, the zipper is pulling off and the cheap neoprene has been compressed so many times it won't bounce back, and offers the insulation value of a t-shirt at 90 feet.

- K

I have not seen any cargo shorts that have pockets that come close to matching what a pair of tech shorts can hold. Pull a mask out of the pocket of your common cargo shorts while underwater. That is if you can even fit it in there in the first place.

To the inexperienced they may look the same. But to those who use the stuff, there is a clear difference.

I have not seen any cargo shorts that have pockets that come close to matching what a pair of tech shorts can hold. Pull a mask out of the pocket of your common cargo shorts while underwater. That is if you can even fit it in there in the first place.

To the inexperienced they may look the same. But to those who use the stuff, there is a clear difference.

The pockets on cargo shorts (true board shorts don't have pockets, Einstein) aren't meant to be managed (open, closed, confirmed closed) with gloves... again, see also purpose-built stuff.

The thread nor the fabric are designed for repeated use in sun and salt....

When the OP dives more, he'll find the non-dive stuff you can sub in, and the stuff you want to leave to the dive pros.

In general, this purpose-built costs more because its worth more.

- K

You keep telling yourself that.

The neoprene on your Costco wetsuit isn't near the premium neoprene on some of the finer suits.

You'll have a different idea when your hardware store stainless clips with their non-stainless springs seize up on you the second time you take them out.

There are many things experienced divers re-purpose into diving. Many.

But some things are purpose made for the job at hand.

Enjoy that Costco wetsuit 50 or 100 dives from now when the seams are releasing, the zipper is pulling off and the cheap neoprene has been compressed so many times it won't bounce back, and offers the insulation value of a t-shirt at 90 feet.

- K
Indeed, hardware store stainless is generally not marine grade. Though their brass snaps hold up just fine if rinsed and given an occasional squirt of CorrosionX. Some stores like Ace Hardware or online retailers like McMaster Carr carry 316 SS hardware, but retailers like Dive Gear Express or Piranha Dive Mfg. Are less expensive.

I don't know anything about Costco wetsuits. I'm guessing they sell surfing suits by brands like O'Neil and probably won't hold up well to compression. Then again, may be just fine. Personally I have crossed over to open cell and you're not going to find that kind of performance on the shelf at a Costco.

Rock on with your Costco Roxy rash guard (errr, suit) at 90 feet. Enjoy that 19 minute bounce dive while shivering in your AL80 and air fill....

Think hard about the reason you're diving: To maximize your Bottom Time... you want to be down there as long as you can.

Think about the 4 major things that take away BT:

1) Exposure (you're cold... hands, feet, core)
2) You're out of gas (tank too small, breathing too much)
3) NDL (hitting your NDL cuz you're diving air)
4) Body function (can't pee in a dry suit....)

Invest in the things that improve your BT first... the best exposure your money can buy, the largest tank volume you can comfortably dive, and for Pete's sake, get your EAN Cert.

If you're diving in a dry suit, chances are you've already dealt with the first three.

The rest is important, but always manage your gear to maximize your BT... otherwise, why bother diving?

- K

It's all well and good to criticize the guy seeking out bargain solutions, to often astronomic dive shop pricing. Having worked at shops when I was a youth, I can tell you that there was never a list price that they didn't like and want to make their own; and that a good deal of that "genuine" marine-grade hardware (bolt snaps, carabiners, all manner of things, at two to three times the price), came directly from the local ACE or OSH. I saw that first hand.

When I first began diving, there were far fewer bell and whistle options than today; and most people that I knew did go on a scavenger hunt for all manner of gear. I certainly did at the time; had to. Some of the cheaper solutions did indeed work in the short term; others were jettisoned. My first cheap-o suit lasted more than a year -- and through a ton of cold water diving. Sure, I got cold; learned a few things as a result; but so f**king what?

There was little budget for anything else; but I didn't skip on the regulators. I had to draw a line somewhere; and I haven't regretted that. Still have those, after suits, etc have come and gone.

Just because someone, at yet another reeducation camp in Guanzhong, slaps a diver's flag on some neoprene boxer briefs; or gloves to be distributed by several well-known US brands, is absolutely no assurance of quality . . .

As with most things it makes sense to deal with the experts.

My mask, bcd and booties come from the LDS as that allows me to verify proper fit. Custom prescription mask stuff comes from a specialty optical service.

Bolts and stuff for camera rigs all comes from a local boat shop.

Camera gear mostly comes used from eBay, camera comes from a local Photoshop, housings are bought online.

Orings come from a local industrial supply shop. A lifetime supply of lube in a single tube came from an online scuba supply shop.

Glues and adhesives come from a local specialty shop.

Webbing and shock cord comes from a local outdoor shop (who also supplied luggage, tank marker lights, signal mirror, whistle, knife, compass and really ugly white booty socks).

Wetsuits come from a custom wetsuit manufacturer.

Regs came from a LDS a long time ago, service kits come from eBay. Replacement hoses are bought online from a scuba supplier.

So core SCUBA gear is obtained from mainstream scuba suppliers. Nothing else is...

Back
Top Bottom