Why no college credit for SSI/OW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mustang29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In the OW book it states that you can get college credit for the OW program.
My 18yr old son got certifed through SSI, but was told that the credits are no longer possible.
He is really dissapointed. Why is the credit no longer given?, or is it just the dive shop that will not do it?
If the credit is no longer a possibility, why has there not been an adendum added to the manuals?

In the OW book it states that you can get college credit for the OW program.
My 18yr old son got certifed through SSI, but was told that the credits are no longer possible.
He is really dissapointed. Why is the credit no longer given?, or is it just the dive shop that will not do it?
If the credit is no longer a possibility, why has there not been an adendum added to the manuals?

To get college credit for the class, you usually have to do it through a college that accepts that credit. No agency can grant college credit for a course; a college grants that credit based on their policies. A number of agencies, including SSI, have set up their OW courses in such a way that a college will consider it worthy of credit and include it in their accepted courses. You will find it in the course catalog. Those classes usually go above and beyond the typical amount of time and training in an OW course, although they do result in the same certification.

It is generally true for any subject of study. If you want college credit for work, it usually has to be set up that way with the college before you do the work. You can't go to a college and tell them you learned something on your own somewhere else and expect them to give you credit for it.

We got certified for OW at a Jr College and got credit in Physical Education Dept. It cost about $50 more than the same class with the same instructors at the dive shop. So it was cheaper signing up at the dive shop.

Some colleges have given credit for outside learning but they are under no obligation to do so. SSI or any agency for that matter can say for sure that their course is eligible. Only the school can do that. And even so it'd be what, 1 lower level PE credit? No big deal in the big scheme.

Thanks for the replies, makes sense.
Not getting one credit for a PE class is really NOT a big deal for a science major.

I received my cert through NAUI while in college. I took the SCUBA class and it was a credited class through the university. I know at my university when I took the class we had to take a class in a couple different areas to be a more "well" rounded student. I was able to take the SCUBA class as my PE credit. The class was a 1 hr credit class even though the class was much more than a 1 hr class. We met every week for 9 weeks. Each of the weeks we had a 3 hr classroom portion and a 3 hr pool portion. The class was a very thorough and a perk to the class was we got to go to Florida for our cert dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom