Why no poor man's rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

received_10212880883116809.jpeg

Cheap / Easy / Safe. Pick 1.

Tom died a few years ago (natural causes, nothing dive/rebreather related). He was a great guy and a pleasure to know. I assume his web page was pulled down shortly after that so no, it is not active.

Very sad to hear that; he seems to have had a great sense of humor!

I know virtually nothing about scuba, but know a bit of internet-fu.
His site was archived by the wayback machine; here is a link to that rebreather article:
100 DOLLAR REBREATHER

Also, here is another funny DIY rebreather article, also from a now-defunct website that got archived:
Project021017ThreeDollarRebreather

I hope this post works and the links work. This is my first post. I’ve been lurking a couple of days but felt I had to sign up to share Tom’s article.

They do and thanks, it was nice to see my old friend. Tom did a rebreather demo class for us once in which we built a coke bottle and plastic bag rebreather similar to the one in the second article.

Since we're looking at rebreather designs from guys that are now gone..

TP2000
The words "holy crap" were circling in my brain while reading through the slides, then I got to the one that shows where the name comes from. That is genius!

They do and thanks, it was nice to see my old friend. Tom did a rebreather demo class for us once in which we built a coke bottle and plastic bag rebreather similar to the one in the second article.

Glad to hear they worked. Very cool to hear about the coke bottle and plastic bag rebreather. I love the garage engineering!

Since we're looking at rebreather designs from guys that are now gone..

TP2000

That’s a great piece of work! I know how the air should circulate but not how that is ensured — it must be through the mouthpiece valves. Probably obvious if you’ve even held a rebreather before. If it works like I think it does it is a marvel of simplicity.

P4290009.JPG
P4290009.JPG

Here is a photo of the coke bottle rebreather we assembled that day. I watched a guy breath off of it for at least 30 minutes. Not something we could dive with but it does demonstrate the principals of the pendulum rebreather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom