Why no WARM UP when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manni-yunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am getting older (36) but still stay in shape. I have been competitive in sports my whole life since I was 4 and played Football, wrestling, and ran track in HS - then competed in the decathalon in college as well as rugby. Since College I still run (from time to time) and compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournaments as well as teach a BJJ class.

The constant from my life of sports is a warm up. It increases flexibility, reduces injury and also takes advantage of your conditioning. I get out of breath MUCH faster during a warm up then when actually competing or training. There are several benefits to a warm up including a warm up causes blood vessels to dilate which reduces the resistance to blood flow and lower stress on the heart. Also - Ive read that A proper warm-up decreases the risk of irregular heartbeats associated with poor coronary circulation. A warm up also facilitates oxygen utilization by warmed muscles because haemoglobin releases oxygen more readily at higher muscle temperatures.

Im not saying warm up then jump in with a higher sac rate - but a warm up then calm down period mught be benefecial -I think? I know I am missing something here. . I know that we are supposed to be as relaxed and calm as possible when diving - but the advantages of warming up seem to be there - why is there never any talk about this?

Obviously I am missing something and there are reasons that divers never warm up - I would like to know and understand them.

Many of us do our own warm-ups before dives, and equipment checklists, etc. Just because the rest of the people on the boat (or at the dive site) aren't doing something doesn't mean that you can't. Diving is the wrong sport to not to be thinking for yourself, and not doing what you know is right for you.

Ditto what ripley said...if you know a warmup works for you then do it. Many folks don't know much about proper conditioning...it sounds like you do. I also suspect that many folks may not have the discipline to consistently do a warmup...it's lots more fun to just "git 'er done" but that can also lead to strains and tears of muscles, tendons, etc.

I don't know where you get the info that "divers never warm up"...I am a diver and I do.

Do what works for you.

You've posted your question in the right place. Dr Deco is the expert on exercise's impact on risk of DCS. While waiting for his response, you might want to search through earlier threads in this forum.

btw, neat user name (says another from the Philly area).

For me the "warm up" is more mental relaxation, not something physical. While in the water I am hoping to breathe slowly, move slowly, and remain at ease and comfortable with my environment. For the more challenging dives I try to "think through the dive" before entering the water attempting to foresee potential problems and to be prepared and calm.

Diving is like Yoga to me. I don't warm up before Yoga. Like diving it is exercise, yet it's not. Taking care of yourself in day-to-day life goes alot further for my diving vs. doing dynamic movements and increasing my hr on purpose pre-dive. My hr is up by the time I've managed to get myself over the logs on the beach and all my OW students finned & masked.....

I suspect, though, that when you do yoga you are not wearing many pounds of gear. Ingress and egress to the water (from boat, dock, shore, etc.) can be pretty physical...proper warmups and stretching can get the body ready to deal with stress and strain that scuba gear can impose on the body. Once in the water, ideally, you can relax maybe...the gear weight is not such a factor anymore. But if you have a physical task to accomplish (like a commercial diver or a public safety diver) the warmups can be very necessary.

Have you looked around a warm water dive boat lately, most diving is a leisurely activity that doesn't need a warm up. Getting into the wet suit is enough warm up for a lot of folks.

Hahahaha...no, that is a good question. I suspect I am more like manni-yunk. I warm up before any potentially strenuous activity, it's just part of my nature. If folks can get away without it, more power to them.

Have you looked around a warm water dive boat lately, most diving is a leisurely activity that doesn't need a warm up. Getting into the wet suit is enough warm up for a lot of folks.

I have just over a hundred or so dive sand only about 15 of them are warm water. Most of my diving is in cold water wearing lots of gear.

Although diving is intended as a leisurely activity - a current or other situation might cause a situation where one would have been better of to "warm up"

Maybe Im wrong. Maybe I was thinking about what me and my dive buddines priorities are - but Im also lobster hunting and spearfishing which can sometimes cause the dive to get strenuous.

Back
Top Bottom