Why no WARM UP when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DDM--"That's thought to be related to the decreased blood flow at rest/during sleep - less blood flow means more opportunity for clots to form around plaques in the coronary arteries."----looks like a good reason to never go to sleep, -----again

Ive read about the incidence of Heart attacks being significantly higher in the morning but as we get active and past the first 4 hours of the day - the risk throughout the day drops significantly.
That's thought to be related to the decreased blood flow at rest/during sleep - less blood flow means more opportunity for clots to form around plaques in the coronary arteries.
That's interesting. I didn't think that blood flow was the causative factor (although it would obviously occur in a latter stage of the pathogenesis). I thought that there was some evidence to suggest that platelet aggregation was increased in the early morning hours. Some scientists speculate that there's a link between platelet aggregation and circadian rhythms (although the evidence for such a link is still inconclusive).

That's interesting. I didn't think that blood flow was the causative factor (although it would obviously occur in a latter stage of the pathogenesis). I thought that there was some evidence to suggest that platelet aggregation was increased in the early morning hours. Some scientists speculate that there's a link between platelet aggregation and circadian rhythms (although the evidence for such a link is still inconclusive).

Thanks. I'm honestly not familiar with that body of work but I looked at a few abstracts in PubMed just now and it made interesting reading. What I told the OP was what I'd learned back in nursing school. Let nobody say I'm not smarter now than I was 10 minutes ago.

Thanks. I'm honestly not familiar with that body of work but I looked at a few abstracts in PubMed just now and it made interesting reading. What I told the OP was what I'd learned back in nursing school. Let nobody say I'm not smarter now than I was 10 minutes ago.

There are several different proposed mechanisms of action for the early morning MI incidence rate - all having been widely published and researched.

There are several different proposed mechanisms of action for the early morning MI incidence rate - all having been widely published and researched.
Yeah. Lots of work/speculation out there on this. In addition to the platelet aggregation hypothesis, studies have investigated several other etiologic factors: early morning increase in arterial pressure, hormonal changes (circadian-related perhaps?), increase in coronary arterial tone, primary arrhythmias, etc. It's likely that a combination of some or all of these factors cause a high percentage of MIs to occur in the early morning.

From what I can remember from my Dive Physiology training that exercise and staying in shape reduces your chances of getting bent. With that said I also remember you don’t want to do a workout prior to diving either. So if a warm-up is like stretching or something like that. I would not think it would hurt. However, I am not a Doc, I am just relying on what my training stated.

I get some degree of warmup by carting scuba gear around, and getting to the water . . . but, except in a few really unusual situations, I have NEVER had to do anything I considered significant exertion in the water. Going through a warmup and stretching regimen to float around and look at fish seems like major overkill.

What she said...

i have irregular heartbeats called pvc's. they've been medically evaluated and are not pathological ie they are called functional and not a health risk.
the person who posed the question remarked that warming up would lessen irregular heartbeats. perhaps, but whether warming up does lessen them or not, a person who has irregular heartbeats should have them medically evaluated. irregular beats might be pathological, ie a symptom of a medical condition and might cause problems above or under the water. working with their health care provider, the affected person then may want to get the irregular heartbeats treated and/or avoid diving if need be

......I'll be hitting 57 in a few days...I stay active as well - look forward to 45 to 60 minutes of starting out slow and build up to a nice steady jog on the treadmill....before my dives tho - I stretch...and as has been mentioned here - that's what works for me.....I suspect you've been doing what's best for you throughout your diving career....stay with whatever works in making your dives safe and enjoyable....

Not warming up and indeed not excersising for the sport and being aerobically unfit and over-weight is a common problem in the SCUBA diving community worldwide. -At their peril (legally speaking) the recreational diving industry has chosen to close its eyes to need for divers to be fit. Every recent diving related health & fitness publication promotes fitness and proper diet. Forgotten or ignored by PADI, NAUI, SSI, SDI/TDI, etc. is the fact that Decompresion tables were designed FOR young fit men in military service. The evolution of SCUBA diving since 1959 has arrived at a point demonstrating that a significant number of SCUBA divers are obese, unfit and DANGEROUS to dive with. Fearing loss of 'customers' the dive shops ('diver training facilities' of the above-mentioned organisations) are ignoring their Duty of Care by accepting unfit individuals as trainees. It is a miracle that some smart 'ambulance chasing' lawyer has not seen the opportunity ! - A word of advice to Diving Instructors and Dive Masters: You put unfit divers into the water, - and if a fitness related accident happens; - you are likely to be called to account by the local authorities or the relatives of the victim. -

Back
Top Bottom