Why not a PADI diver number?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rligon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone ever gotten an answer from PADI as to why they don't issue a diver ID number until you go pro? I understand why each cert has a different number, but it seems to me they could keep records a whole lot better if they gave you a permanent ID number (OW maybe?) that could be used on all correspondence, training records, etc. As it is, if one time I use my middle initial and the next time forget to, PADI thinks I am two different divers until I contact them to straighten it out.

If you, your instructor, or the shop use your middle initial one time and not another, you are two different people. According to my last call to PADI on this, it cannot currently be corrected in the database. You could try to redo a PIC card w/wo the initial, but you would still be two different people.

I agree that it would make things a lot simplier, if a single number were issued.

I concur . . .

the K

Managing multiple personality disorder while diving -- the newest PADI specialty

Using a name as the primary key in a DB is problematic, and I'm guessing PADI assigns a Psudo Key. Obviously PADI does link based on a name, and that can also be an issue. There are a lot of names that are not unique. They likely use name and other attributes to attempt to correctly link certs to one individual. I guess PADI figures that for students having correct linkage is not all that important. Keep in mind that the majority of divers may never take more than the initial OW cert. For Pro's they seem to have corrected this issue.

If this matters to folks then either make sure you spell, and list your name the same way for each certification. If that does not happen you can either 1) contact PADI, and try to get that resolved, or 2) don't worry about it. Maybe they will change their DB in the future, but I would not hold your breath!

PADI could salve the problem by just asking for a previous student number on all post OW cert forms. If you don't have one, or don't know it, no problem, but if you do you caould have all your PADI training under one "account"

I don't think they want to change this though. The current system allows them to give the impression that every new cert is a new diver.

Your are issued a diver (actually certification) number and it is indeed preserved but since the recreational cards are processed automatically, it depends on certain factors:
(1) your name and date of birth is entered exactly the same as prior certifications. Often a middle initial is missed in which case a new number is issued
(2) you were cerrtified in the same regional office - PADI have offices that cover specific regions and they act autonomously (PADI Asiap Pacific, PADI Americas, PADI Japan, PADI International etc). If you did one cert in the Caribbean and another in Thailand you won't get the same number.
(3) You can reconcile all your diver numbers and if you wish, get your cards re-issued to reflect that (it's not a requirement)

It has to be said that the diver number is not necessarily relevant because the data that is held by PADI can be searched on name and date of birth. If we for example, wish to check a diver's history, we can do so with a simple database search. Differences in names do occur, but mostly I've been able to resolve queries about divers who have forgotten their C card or logbook.

Remember that PADI divers number in the millions and there are about (just less than) 160,000 active PADI pros in the industry (according to the latest stats). The card is proof of certification, the diver number is just a means of tracking paperwork.

A PADI professional has a more immediate requirement that their certification number is readily available which is why we are issued with the pro numbers - these are unique and easily communicated between regions.

So the long and short of it is that there's no real need for a person to have a diver "number". One might argue that a credit card system which logs certifications and number of dives might be something to look at and 20 years from now, I'm sure it will. Right now, it's too much of a logistical headache. Remember some dive centres still get their mail processed by donkey and weekly boat plane (seriously).

And... really - do you want to be just another number!? :D

Happy diving

C.

The current system allows them to give the impression that every new cert is a new diver.
This violates one of my rules of bureaucratic behavior -- never attribute a decision to intelligence when it can be explained by ignorance. The most likely explanation was that someone wrote the code years ago and assumed people would always write their name and birthday the same way and it would be easy to search (in case anyone actually wanted to search). It just never occurred to anyone at the time to set it up with a single number because they were focused on name and birthdate which I'm sure was a hold over from when they kept records by hand, in alphabetical order.

I don't understand why it could possibly matter if PADI issues the same number every time, a different number every time or no numbers at all.

To be fair, PADI is not alone on this...

Back
Top Bottom