Why not do my DM on Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

although i dont mind carrying my own gear, i have dived at 3 centres in the philippines and ALL have carried my gear without me requesting any assistance. i think from the centres point of view it makes more sense to get the gear on the boat and get going as quick as possible.

Would you like breakfast in bed too m'lord? :rofl3:

I a lot of places, for various reasons, the operator will make sure the equipment is on board, and the guest will not have to carry it.
Same here, we'll always make sure the equipment is on the boat, and the guests don't have to carry it or worry about it.

I a lot of places, for various reasons, the operator will make sure the equipment is on board, and the guest will not have to carry it.
Same here, we'll always make sure the equipment is on the boat, and the guests don't have to carry it or worry about it.

I think it's well appreciated by mosts guests if their dive equipment is carried for them. Dive operators are part of the service industry and the whole experience of going out for a couple of dives (or days diving) and being looked after (read: "being pampered") is what people remember, appreciate and make them want to come back for!

The most pampered that I ever felt when diving was in the Red Sea. Come up from the dive and was presented with a ice-cool flannel to mop my brow with. Luxury.

I am still searching for a dive operator who can find a way to do my deco obligation for me. :wink:

If someone wants their own gear carried to the dive boat for them, then I would want to see proof of their disability.

Quite agree, if someone is incapable of carrying their kit (obviously not including people with special needs) sounds to me that they are not fit enough to be diving.
For those that are unwilling to carry their own kit, bring their own sherpa.

i have dived at 3 centres in the philippines and ALL have carried my gear without me requesting any assistance.

I worked as relief resort manager in the Flips and in my experience allowing anybody handle your gear is asking a costly mistake. Boat boys don't know how to handle equipment and DM's in the Philippines will not be humbled to sling your gear.

I've seen BCD's lose hose connection because some poor ignorant (meaning poor and ignorant) day laborers lift full kits by the hoses. Masks get shattered, bag handles torn, regulator hoses get shredded at the crimp.

Far worse is allowing these boys attach your regulator without purging seawater from the valve ! Bankas are very wet and not purging sends a mist of seawater right into your first stage. They also deafen you with high pressure explosions to dry the dust caps, a positive injury that must be avoided.

As well many DM's are NOT Certified whatever "Multinational Corporate Giant" sign you might see. I've been on 'certificated' boats not having functional oxygen, CPR masks, sign-in systems, repair parts, not even enough emergency water for an at sea breakdown. Most don't have VHF radios, instead use Cell Phones even when traversing over the horizon. Some even plan drift dives that end with the group washing out to sea, nothing but a safety sausage and a prayer the crappy boat engine starts to come save their lives. I've seen this happen in meter swells on many occasions !

One should be aware of such dangers before setting out, and especially have the courage to ask "What the F*** ???" when they try to balance your lives with profit. As well, IMO folks need to take ownership of the gear they risk their lives on. It should be a matter of pride in fact. It certainly is around Tec Divers ! They won't let you near their gear ! Diving is not as dangerous as it used to be but accidents do still happen and this is precisely how such chains of events start.

Boat boys don't know how to handle equipment and DM's in the Philippines will not be humbled to sling your gear.....some poor ignorant (meaning poor and ignorant) day laborers lift full kits by the hoses. Masks get shattered, bag handles torn, regulator hoses get shredded at the crimp....

This isn't just an issue in the Philippines...it's pretty common in many countries/regions where local labor is cheap. Nonetheless, a good dive operation will make sure to properly train it's staff on how to handle scuba equipment.

A dive shop needs trained staff... whether that is to fill tanks, carry kit, pilot the boat or guide the dive. Allowing staff to do a job that they don't understand is quite simply just plain bad management.

As well many DM's are NOT Certified .... boats not having functional oxygen, CPR masks, sign-in systems, repair parts, not even enough emergency water for an at sea breakdown. Most don't have VHF radios

A "NOT Certified" DM is called a 'Dive Guide. :rofl3:

You seem to have had some bad diving experiences!?! Perhaps you need to amend your process for choosing dive centres. :wink:

Hey Nikki,

Sounds like we might have been diving at the same place..... lol:wink:

Carrying your own gear is fine for me but if its safely stored in a crate I dont mind having them boatboys put it on the Bangka. Having other people carry my gear or luggage always makes me feel like an old fancy tourist but in the Fillies I have learned that its just like that. They have a little job and earn some money and you dont have to worry about it.

Having boatboys set up my equipment is a bigg NONO for me. I have seen way to many things going wrong to let anybody setup my gear. I teach all my students that they are responsible for their own life and setting up and checking their own equipment is their own responsibility. Asking a DM for help is something else ofcourse.

The kind of tourists on Koh Tao mostly dont mind to carry their own stuff because they are mostly young people who just want their diving ticket for as little money as possible. However there still are divecenters on Tao that carry and wash your gear and even divecenters that dive only the divesites where no other boats are. It just takes a good eye to find them between all the Diving McDonalds and Burger Kings.

Safe and Happy diving to all off you for 2011!!

You seem to have had some bad diving experiences!?! Perhaps you need to amend your process for choosing dive centres. :wink:

Actually I have had quite a few bad dive experiences. 40 years in the industry is enough to see most of it and cultivates a pretty healthy respect for staying -- well, healthy. I did use the best process overall: I was Assistant Manager and quit in protest over the whole mess after six months of not being able to change things.

The sad truth is that sometimes the boss is a Sociopath. By definition they are cunning, smart and especially charismatic. Such operations are out there and all of us have to watch very carefully. The key is just remembering to look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom