Why not do my DM on Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure the KT community is happy with your donation. Did you get a replacement? Certainly better than the Coral Reef Squadron fiasco. Was that venture 'fake' CD related?

The KT community were great, covered the cost of what I would've realised for the scrap and the cleaning etc. Had a huge fundraising party with 6 or 700 hundred people, brilliant.

I hope it's a success, some people said it's a bit deep, but she needs to be out of the reach of openwater students and a 100ft wreck doesn't need a lot of bottom time.

She was certainly clean, a bit of diesel for about 30mins, a few bits of wood and foam and stuff which a dive centre speedboat picked up

I'm sailing MV Giamani round from Phuket in April, back again in October, so wreck expeditions as normal next year.

Meanwhile we'll be messing around in caves...

First let me apologize for high-jacking this post I am only answering the questions that should have been sent by P.M. but once it is out there it has to be answered..

Hi all, well it seems the trolls may be coming out to play, but in the interest of answering the questions asked, I am going to put my business on the line for all those who still may be seeing the world through rose colored glasses....or have masks so badly fogged that they were never taught to clear...
My case.....freshly minted instructor from XYZ dive agency.... ( I work with several) The guy who signed my ticket (What ever they are called in what ever agency) had me teaching nitrox, deep, navigation and other specialties, WITH no training. I did the course from beginning to end, then gave the papers to a senior instructor who was qualified to sign off on them and get credit for teaching it. I signed my name to dozens of papers for student work that was done by unqualified local staff.... After all he is a (Whatever you call those guys who sign your license) So he would not make me do the wrong thing...Did I tell XYZ agency ? Yes. Was anything done ? NO ! He is still qualified to sign off instructors....

Except he took it upon himself from his exalted position to try to make my life very difficult.
To this day he advertises that nobody has failed his instructor course.....two candidates alone in my class alone failed.

Oh, and blowmouth, the implication that I am a moron is not necessary...lets grow up a bit okay ?
Arizona...she was DEAD. Do you need the coroners report ? Do you think I just threw that out there for fun and made wild assumptions ?
While you guys continue to question my veracity, I am going out for a dive....my 47 foot dive boat is 50 meters away. It is 90* and sunny the sea is calm, I have better things to do !!!! Like go diving instead of accuse others of lying.
Peace, happy diving, I will be kitting up in 45 minutes.

First let me apologize for high-jacking this post I am only answering the questions that should have been sent by P.M. but once it is out there it has to be answered..

Hi all, well it seems the trolls may be coming out to play, but in the interest of answering the questions asked, I am going to put my business on the line for all those who still may be seeing the world through rose colored glasses....or have masks so badly fogged that they were never taught to clear...
My case.....freshly minted instructor from XYZ dive agency.... ( I work with several) The guy who signed my ticket (What ever they are called in what ever agency) had me teaching nitrox, deep, navigation and other specialties, WITH no training. I did the course from beginning to end, then gave the papers to a senior instructor who was qualified to sign off on them and get credit for teaching it. I signed my name to dozens of papers for student work that was done by unqualified local staff.... After all he is a (Whatever you call those guys who sign your license) So he would not make me do the wrong thing...Did I tell XYZ agency ? Yes. Was anything done ? NO ! He is still qualified to sign off instructors....

Except he took it upon himself from his exalted position to try to make my life very difficult.
To this day he advertises that nobody has failed his instructor course.....two candidates alone in my class alone failed.

Oh, and blowmouth, the implication that I am a moron is not necessary...lets grow up a bit okay ?
Arizona...she was DEAD. Do you need the coroners report ? Do you think I just threw that out there for fun and made wild assumptions ?
While you guys continue to question my veracity, I am going out for a dive....my 47 foot dive boat is 50 meters away. It is 90* and sunny the sea is calm, I have better things to do !!!! Like go diving instead of accuse others of lying.
Peace, happy diving, I will be kitting up in 45 minutes.

That does sound a bit dodgey, and it's not nice to put instructors in the position of teaching something they know they're not qualified to do. where would the buck stop if there was an accident?

It's clear now why you're unhappy, sorry to take the Mickey.

At least I know it's not me you're talking about, candidates often fail my courses, I had one last year where ALL five/five failed , oops!

Not good for advertising ,I know, but if they can't do it, they can't do it,................

Is this actually what you mean, or is it just your interpretation from a photo? Most likely the latter. If it really happened, reference an article.Negligence of this sort would close a dive shop down almost immediately, especially if someone dies as you indicate. Did you initiate PADI Quality Assurance?

"Arizona...she was DEAD. Do you need the coroners report ? Do you think I just threw that out there for fun and made wild assumptions ?"

I don't need a coroner's report and feel awful for those involved if indeed it happened the way you claim. The claim sounded a bit outlandish and I was hoping you could provide and article or supporting information. No offense meant, but a situation like that should make the news. Can you post a link?

I agree with Jamie about the buck stopping here. As an instructor your are bound by standards and should not waiver. The 'just following orders' does not fly. For the out of reg incident as well as the others you describe you should initiate a Q&A via PADI. I would also seek to work with a different shop. Shame you or anyone else should ever be put in that situation.

@Jamie, I would question any Tech instructor or CD with a 100% pass rate.

.....the implication that I am a moron is not necessary...

I certainly do not hope so.

Actually what I wrote in my two previous posts re the dead diver and morons was the following:

Post 1:
Still have that picture?
If yes, post it please.
No reg in her mouth does not necessarily mean she's dead. Is her second stage in her hand or just hanging loose besides her? What position is her body in?
Maybe she's just fooling around for the picture or practicing her newly acquired skills?

If she's really dead you would think the other people in the picture would be visibly shocked. Or at least not concentrating too much on taking fun-pictures. Unless they are complete morons (not talking about you here but the other people in the picture) and wouldn't care about dead people floating about.

Post 2:

I don't like the "dead diver" angle though. Dead people under water are not something to make fun about. I know, I have seen too many.
Only morons (again, not directly referring to you but rather to any person who would make up a fairy-tale story with dead divers in it) would make something up like that.

Your statement about the dead diver is rather scary and I must admit that I find it hard to believe as well. I would much appreciate it if you could answer some of my questions regarding the dead diver and possibly even post the picture with the alleged dead diver in it.

Answering any questions or backing up any of the 'interesting' claims would be appreciated.

Even though you are canvassing posters by PM - you have still failed to answer fundametal questions in a private forum ......which to me means you cant substantiate anything.

Im curious then why you persist as the only think you are doing is harming diving as a sport or pass time as a whole - which will have an effect on the industry ...... and as you are a dive shop owner yourself this seems a little daft ! As a dive pro and dive shop owner you should be looking for ways to improve the industry.....

At the risk of stirring something else up, I'm going to ask something new here :wink:

Am I correct that the DM courses in the Khao Lak area who offer diving on the Similan liveaboards actually ONLY those dives (+- 2 trips of 14-15 dives over 4 days on-board) in the DM-course? If this is the case, than I might be better of just paying for a liveaboard-trip there & doing my DM somewhere else as I'm looking to be as much in the water as possible...

Any good recommendations on Koh Lanta?

PS: I used to moderate a forum like this about electronic music many years ago & it's funny to see that no matter what the subject is, people are pretty much the same all over :D

Bubble dragon, regarding Kao Lak that's correct, other dives would be beach dives as part of rescue courses or the like.

On Koh Lanta I can recommend this shop in Saladan and this one in the South of Lanta in the Baan Kantiang area.

Got to love those Unbiased recommendations ......:eyebrow:

However great place and dare I say if Limbos is involved with your training ,hes been around for ever and I have only heard good things about his attention to safety and training.

Enjoy Koh Lanta Bubble dragon, just make sure your there in season.

I agree with Jamie about the buck stopping here. As an instructor your are bound by standards and should not waiver. The 'just following orders' does not fly. For the out of reg incident as well as the others you describe you should initiate a Q&A via PADI. I would also seek to work with a different shop. Shame you or anyone else should ever be put in that situation.

You may note upon more careful reading that I said I quit Hawaii in A week, and contacted the agency in question regarding the ticket puncher....so please spend some time reading what I say, okay ? What is your thing with the accusations ?
Anyway, we had dolphins on the bow wave today....so I am leaving the trolls to play under the bridge, have fun...I hope the vis there is as good as here !

Regarding safety in MY shop...
We are the ONLY dive op in the country with ANY of these safety procedures in place
All of our staff are trained in first aid.
We carry in excess of 4000 liters of oxygen on the boat, we are aware that people
dive as buddies, so we carry independent oxygen supplies for two divers.
We are the ONLY dive operator in the country to have an A.E.D. on the boat,
a real, comprehensive first aid kit
depth sounder, V.H.F. radio and satellite telephone.
We have our air tested quarterly, to insure you are breathing compressed air that
meets or exceeds USA and European standards.
We stock 2 years of maintenance and repair parts for all of our equipment.
When drift diving, or in heavy current we bring a chase boat
We also equip all divers with SMB and air horn, REAL whistles, line cutters, mirrors.
All of our staff are subject to mandatory drug tests, and we enforce a strict
no drinking 12 hours before diving policy.
We dive in a remote location and have emergency evacuation procedures in place.
Accidents do happen and we believe in being prepared.
All divers are required to have insurance:
We have developed an insurance policy with a well respected
International Travel Insurer based in the USA,
but insuring divers and travelers from all over the world.
This is a sickness and accident policy. Effective coverage can be had for $1 USD per day.
This policy is sold in our shop and provides coverage the following day at 00:01 local time.
We have a contract with the helicopter, hospital and recompression facilities
that guaranties prepayment.

I am not going to be drawn out by the trolls with reading disabilities again...Happy diving !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom