Why not just clip spool bolt snap to SMB D ring & call it good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clip-off the spool's double-ender to the SMB's ring, unclip the other end securing the line to the spool, deploy the SMB, inflate and send it up. Secure line to spool with another spare double-ender. . .

In other words, be quick & practical --don't futz around with threading a cow hitch knot to attach the SMB to the spool's line. And no, I haven't yet had a inflated SMB become unclipped from its double-ender upon launching & deployment. . .

Doesn't happen often, but I have had need to use the spool/line for something else during a dive. It's a real bear to un-rig it in cold water with 7mm gloves on.

Do you tie a little dicky on the loop? I've never tried in 7mm gloves but have undone it in 5mm gloves without too much hassle after using the spool as a guide line.
The dickie makes it a cinch to undo generally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What's a "dicky?"

It's basically just another small loop, around a half inch in length tied in the end of the big loop in the line. Once you run the spool through the big loop attaching it to the SMB ring, you have the "dicky" as a little handle of sorts that sticks out to allow you to pull the loop loose easy if need be.

It's basically just another small loop, around a half inch in length tied in the end of the big loop in the line. Once you run the spool through the big loop attaching it to the SMB ring, you have the "dicky" as a little handle of sorts that sticks out to allow you to pull the loop loose easy if need be.

I have one of those, but have always referred to it as a "small loop". Since the mid sixties, I was always led to believe that a "dicky" was a fake turtle-necked shirt. I really don't know what to call a fake turtle-neck anymore. I feel lost.

---------- Post Merged at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:17 PM ----------

A dicky
images
in action
images

Last edited:
I actually before dive attach my smb to the line from my reel and with it rolled up neatly and with the extra line
between smb and reel without slack attach bungee cord over smb to the reel. The bungee is attached to reel
frame so after releasing the bungee it is still attached to reel. Need to be careful the line does not catch
bungee or reel or crank handle when deploying. With everything else going on for me removing the task of attaching line
to smb is one less thing to worry about. One could even carry an extra spool if they thought they might need it
for something else rather than detaching from smb. I have not really used the spool deployment, I kind of like the reel
up method when ascending. I plan to work with the spool a bit this summer and will probably rig it the same way with
loop of line already attached to smb...and I have seen the little loop at end of main loop and will try this as well even
though I would have no expectations of having to remove smb from spool line. If your stowing these items seperately
then of course the standard method is what you would need.

Last edited:

And if you tie the 'dicky' loop asymetrically on the end of the main loop, pulling the dicky has the effect of tautening the shorter side of the main loop, leaving the longer side loose and obvious.

It's then easier to stick something through the main loop - eg, your finger, to open it up - than if both sides of the main loop are the same length, and therefore lie right next to each other when pulled taut.

(Yes, you could use the dicky loop to 'push' the main loop open - but pushing string isn't exactly easy. Especially underwater. With gloves on. When it's cold. And dark.)

I keep mine pre rigged in a sleeve attached to the side of my BP. The videos that were linked do look impressive but I would like to see the same diver do the task with heavy dry gloves and numb fingers.

And if you tie the 'dicky' loop asymetrically on the end of the main loop, pulling the dicky has the effect of tautening the shorter side of the main loop, leaving the longer side loose and obvious.

That's exactly what I do too. I also use a Bowline knot to tie the "big loop" which further helps to keep the big loop open:

Bowline Knot | How to tie a Bowline Knot | Boating Knots

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom