Why not just clip spool bolt snap to SMB D ring & call it good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi:

I'm one of those people who's very unintuitive with motor skills. Was the kid who couldn't do any of the yoyo tricks. Learning to tie my shoes was an ordeal. Learning to drive? Not pretty; that poor cop looked about white after a training drive with me. And the sweater they tried to make me construct in Home Ec.? Ah, a grease rag in the making, that was.

So, having acquired an SMB & a finger spool, I spent some time observing online videos of people setting up & deploying SMBs. Reminds me of when I was a kid; somebody proficient sticks his 2 hands out, there's an item with a string, his hands whir around & something special happens. And he looks at me like I should somehow have acquired this skill.

Riiiiiiiiight. So, at a website labeled 'Precision Diving' I see a page that includes this blurb on the process:

Elsewhere, there's a video where a guy deploys one. Seems brief & to the point.

I'm missing something. Being crude and 'what's the easiest brain dead simple way I can do this' in my approach, I have a burning question...

Why can't I just take the bolt snap on the end of the spool's line, quickly clamp it on that metal ring at the bottom of the SMB, and call it good?

Why the onerous task of running the bolt snap through the SMB's metal ring, then someohow a loop appears out of nowhere, then the spool goes through the loop like a worm-hole...? Do SMBs come loose from bolt snaps often?

Thanks.

Richard.
Two of my buddies do it that way, and my butt puckers every time I watch.

You are much better off pre-rigging the spool as per the GUE and 5th-D videos.

Back
Top Bottom