Why not just tie my SMB to my spool...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Code Monkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
...and be done with it? Is there a reason to keep the reel and the SMB separate (until I need to use them)?

The main reason is that spools may be used for other reasons too. Such as during search and recovery dives, penetration dives or even as an improvised buddy line or jonline.

I keep a loop tied in the end of my spool and a clip on the DSMB. Quick to attach when needed and leaves the spool free for other jobs.

WadeGuthrie:
...and be done with it? Is there a reason to keep the reel and the SMB separate (until I need to use them)?
Unless you find yourself using the spool for other 'jobs' then no, there is nothing wrong with (and even an advantage or two) keeping it attached.

In my own case, if I think I'll need a reel or spool for some other job, I'll bring one for that job and keep the SMB spool for use with the SMB :wink:

I agree with Snow. I keep my SMB attached to its spool. I have another spool for other purposes as well as a reel.

It depends on where you keep your spool and reel. If they're tucked away in a pocket, then they can be pre-rigged. If they're attached to your body external of a pocket, then I want to keep them separate. YMMV

Mike

WadeGuthrie:

That's what I do. Makes deplying the blob that much faster.

If I think I'll need another spool for something then I take another spool with me... :)

R..

I currently don't carry a spool or reel. In fact, I only recently added line to my safety sausage. It's 10 feet long, so my previous deployment plan had been to fill the top 1', and just hang directly from the SMB.

On my most recent dive trip, I added about 15 feet of line. Upon my first test deployment, I discovered I wanted something on the end of the 15 feet of line. (Yes, I do actually practice with my gear from time to time.) My initial plan had been a bolt snap... just to add some weight. 15' of line in a "cloud" next to me, seemed inadvisable. The crew on the boat (whom I'd advised before the dive that I'd be deploying a marker, to not assume I'm having an emergency) suggested a reel.

I'd wrapped the line around the SMB, which seemed adequate. Is a reel or spool much more effective for wrapping line?

I dislike buying gear that I don't like, but also hate wasting money. I prefer to buy the cheapest geat that does everything I want it to do.

I saw a reel on sale http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUDR.html for $15. Even at the regular price of $25, it'd be cheap. Another site reviewed it as a reel that does everything you'd want a reel to do. http://www.divernet.com/equipment/0206reelsextra.shtml I'm wondering if you feel a reel or spool offer a big advantage vs. just wrapping line around my SMB. I wonder if any reel is worth space in or on my BC. I'm not sure where I'd rig it. I sure wouldn't want to clip it to an outside area during a dive in kelp, and my BC pockets might hold a small reel, but why add to the clutter in my pockets? What are your thought about the cheap real I linked?

Hey Rev. Blade...I realize the thread is a bit old, but anyhow. I have one of those reels, it works fine. Sometimes the little free/stop/ship switch gets bumped off, but other than that, it's fine for general use. When it comes out of the bag it has a little SS suicide clip on it. I just replaced it with a Double Bolt snap I had laying around, reeled out the line and marked it off in 25' increments with a black sharpie marker. I'm not sure I'd use it for a penetration or some other "serious" purpose, as it is kinda closed and would be hard to unfoul if need be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom