Why not more fear of Tiger Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a 'relativity' question. On this forum & elsewhere a lot of concern is expressed by people heading for the ocean about Great White Sharks. Granted, they appear massive, very powerful, rather ghostly/alien (I'm speaking of overall appearance, especially those round, nearly all black looking eyes) and rather horrifying (mighty jaws of arrow-head shaped teeth tearing into bait, etc...). Sensationalistic media (e.g.: Shark Week, Jaws movies) add to it.

But they're also a colder water species that is usually not expected down in the Caribbean. And there's been a lot of effort to convince people they don't view humans as prey, but rather may mistake us for seals/sea lions & don't like our taste. Still, while at least one operator is an exception, most GWS charter boat dives use cages.

Now, consider the Tiger Shark. A generalist carnivore with a rep. for eating a wide range of things, fast, gets quite large (not quite as large as the GWS, but close enough), also responsible for human fatalities (I'm 41; when I was a kid the GWS was billed as the #1 man eater, but the Tiger Shark was #2) & occurs in the Caribbean, a region where many of us dive. Yet some dive op.s take people on shark dives hoping to see Tiger Sharks, and they are not cage dives!

Granted, Tiger Sharks just don't compare to the visceral horrific majesty of watching a large Great White breach with a (near human-sized) seal or sea lion, but is that all there is to it?

I'm not encouraging fear-mongering against sharks. I'd just like to know why Tiger Sharks don't seem to command anywhere near the fear and caution of Great Whites, yet are more likely to share ocean with many of us on dive trips.

Tiger Shark dives just don't seem nearly as high on the 'bucket list' for many divers as cage diving with Great Whites.

Richard.

In regards to caution and respect, I personally put the Tiger at the top of the list, right along with the Great White and the Bull. Seen all types of sharks while diving, including the Bull and the Tiger. Haven't seen a Great White yet.

Looked for shark photo op's this season. Only had one opportunity but the shark turned and disappeared too quickly.

I don't think tiggers have the same presence as great whites do. Max size of a tiger shark is around 18 feet, but from what I have heard they rarely exceed 12-14. Whites don't even reach maturity until that size and regularly exceed 15 feet.

Plus, I think the lack of fear of tigers is an east coast thing. Nobody really knew much about tiger sharks in Connecticut and often got them mixed up with the practically harmless sand tigers that they saw in aquariums. Here in Hawaii, nobody worries about whites because nobody ever sees them, but they will close beaches for tigers. They have even set out hunting tiger sharks in the past in an effort to reduce their population in response to attacks.

That's the best I got.

You make good points drrich2...I for one am glad NOT to have Tigers in my area. From what I've read they seem more unpredicable than Whites. Unfortunatly here on Cape Cod our pop. GWS seems to grow each year, but I feel safer diving as compared to a surfer. Bulls and Tigers seem more unpredicable though any large shark in poor vis SUCKS!!!! :shocked2:

I think (not positive) Tigers in one part of the world are not necessarily the same (regarding behavior) as in other parts of the world. I'm sure they are to be respected where ever they are find but they seem to be more aggressive in some areas. Perhaps it depends on how plentiful there natural food is?

GW's are more massive and they've had a movie made about them!

I was just thinking about this the other day after watching this video. What about this seems like a good idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvyRypo6YqA

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm diving SoCal, I don't worry about tigers (although two juvies were spotted off Catalina a few years ago). Don't really worry about great whites either.

However, if I'm diving in subtropical or tropical waters I do give thought to them and bulls.

I'd just like to know why Tiger Sharks don't seem to command anywhere near the fear and caution of Great Whites, yet are more likely to share ocean with many of us on dive trips.

Because fear is driven from misinformation and the way sharks are portrayed through movies and documentaries like Shark Week on Discovery Channel.

Since Great Whites are the usually the "featured" shark, they are the ones that get the exposure and the bad rap.

People that "understand" (and I use the term a bit loosely) behavior of sharks realize that they are not mindless killing machines that go into an unprovoked frenzy at the mere sight of people.

Those that are informed don't really fear them and those that aren't are only aware of those species that have been sensationalized.

Jeeze... Didn't know all you need is to carry a giant trash can to keep a gigantic tiger shark at bay. Awasome video!!!!

Jeeze... Didn't know all you need is to carry a giant trash can to keep a gigantic tiger shark at bay. Awasome video!!!!

I'm going to make it standard equipment, I can use it to soak my gear at the end of the day too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom