Why, oh, why don't they teach better ear equalization?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thespoons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well, the positive news is that I am now officially a certified OW diver!

The bad news is that the OW checkout dives left me with a plugged right ear. Muffled hearing and crackling, but no pain. I went to the doctor who confirmed that it had fluid behind the eardrum, but it was not infected. She recommended sudafed (either the non-methlab kind or the original), sucking on hard candy, occasionally breathing steam, the allegra and increased nasonex (already use both for allergies) and valsava. The dives were last Sunday/Monday (so just over a week from this posting) and I went to the doctor and started the sudafed (non-methlab) four days ago. There has been a lessening and it was actually pretty good on Saturday/Sunday. But it's a little bit more muffled today (though still better than last Thursday).

In researching it, I watched Dr. Kay's video about ear pressure equalization techniques and his recommended approaches. Why, oh, why don't they teach this in class? Even if they had just given me this URL to watch in my own time, it would have been much better. All they (my NAUI instructors) taught us was the Valsava maneuver, and I have a devil of a time getting that to work for both ears. During my dive, my allergies were kicking up and my right ear just refused to clear. But even with this clogged ear now, I've gotten the Frenzel technique down after just a few tries. It's a breeze to me compared to the Valsava.

I'm getting a little worried, as my wife and I are going on our honeymoon real soon now. The crown jewel of the vacation will the 3 night stay on the Spirit of Freedom, diving the GBR. The first day of diving is the 20th, so just under two weeks from now. I really need this ear to clear and to be off the sudafed before that happens. Don't worry, I won't risk my health for the dive, but I will be extremely sad. The usual response is "you can always dive some other time", and while that's true, with the price of going to the GBR and our likely parenthood in a couple of years, it's quite possibly the only time we'll be able to go to the GBR.

So, anyway, just wanted to vent a little and say how I wish we'd been taught the Frenzel technique in class (or at least been made aware of its existence). If you are an instructor, please do your students a favor and give this information. I will be trying to push it with the owner of the shop that held my classes. This information could really make a lot of us newbies have a much easier time entering the world of diving.

Wish me luck!

Well , first of all, I feel you, my O/W instructor responded to my equalization problems by telling to "do it more." never once responded to a "how" question.
second the non-meth lab sudafed is a joke, it doesnt work. Get the pseudoephedrine kind.
I'm going to sign off before I go on a rampage about stupid government regulations, the pointless "war on drugs" and security theater. I can understand ID requirements for bulk importation of pseudoephedrine, but you're not goint to make kilos of methamphetamine by buying 24-packs of sudafed
well, crap, now I'm all riled up.

Well , first of all, I feel you, my O/W instructor responded to my equalization problems by telling to "do it more." never once responded to a "how" question.
second the non-meth lab sudafed is a joke, it doesnt work. Get the pseudoephedrine kind.
I'm going to sign off before I go on a rampage about stupid government regulations, the pointless "war on drugs" and security theater. I can understand ID requirements for bulk importation of pseudoephedrine, but you're not goint to make kilos of methamphetamine by buying 24-packs of sudafed
well, crap, now I'm all riled up.

Are you referring to generic Sudafed ( non-meth lab sudafed is a joke, it doesnt work) like Walmarts Equate? In the 70's we were diving with a ENT Dr named Hal Reuter, who also invented the Reuter Dive Tables, and he gave us all Sudafed, and it made clearing so much easier. I always dive with Sudafed now.

I think he was referring to the re-formulated Sudafed that doesn't contain pseudoephedrine. This is true of both the generic and non-generic Sudafed (though you can still get the original pseudoephedrine version with the ID hassle if your state requires it). My Sudafed has phenylephrine instead. I just used up the box yesterday, so I'm considering replacing it with the original Sudafed. Only problem is that pseudoephedrine tends to give me a bit of a fuzzy brain.

Hi Thespoons,

First, let me say that I'm not a medical doctor.

Still, your situation is like reading a memory! A couple years back my husband completed his OW cert (I was already certified) three weeks before we went to the GBR for a 3 day liveaboard on the Spoilsport. During one of his OW checkout dives, he was hovering above the group trying to get his ear cleared and the instructor, thinking he was having bouyancy issues, grabbed his fin and pulled him down. The ear went "pop," he got a bloody nose, and he spent the next three weeks going to the doctor and fretting. In the end, all was well, but he still has to baby his right ear.

He took Sudafed during the 3 weeks between the incident and the trip, and takes Sudafed about an hour before he dives. I agree with all the others, you have to use the pseudoephedrine. The phenylephrine does NOT work. I know what you mean about the "fuzzy brain" thing, but it might be the best way to get the ear in shape.

thespoons:
Why, oh, why don't they teach better ear equalization?

Because it takes time. It doesn't fit into the instant gratification game plan.

Saline nasal spray or lavage is a good way to help sinuses. Netty pot.

If you suffer from any allergies or borderline, take something like Zyrtec or Allegra. A nasal spray like Fluconaise works well too.

Avoid Afrin or anything like that. Rebounds really badly.

Hi Thespoons,

takes Sudafed about an hour before he dives

I'd be interested in hearing more about this, specifically, the potential downsides as well as how this works (physiologically).

My gf will be finishing open water cert in Cozumel next week, and she had equalization problems in the pool. I bought docs pro plugs based on some posts I'd seen in this forum....

I'd be interested in hearing more about this, specifically, the potential downsides as well as how this works (physiologically).

My gf will be finishing open water cert in Cozumel next week, and she had equalization problems in the pool. I bought docs pro plugs based on some posts I'd seen in this forum....

Again, I'm not a medical doctor, but my understanding of how pseudoephedrine works is that it causes the blood vessels in the linings of the nasal passages and sinuses to contract and narrow, thereby decreasing blood flow into the linings of the nose and sinuses and "opening" them up.

The doc my husband saw after the OW incident said it looked like there was some possible scar tissue from the trauma done in the OW dive. He also had recommended the Sudafed. Note, he does NOT take Sudafed because of a cold and does not dive with a cold, so the downsides of a reverse block are not an issue. Also, he CAN clear his ears anyway (sometimes forgets the Sudafed), but Sudafed just makes it much more comfortable for him because of the lingering ear issue. As does remembering to clear very often on descent.

There was a woman on our recent trip, no cold, but who was having trouble clearing one of her ears. She asked us for some Sudafed, we had extra and gave it to her, and it helped too, so all I can say is that in my limited experience, it does seem to help some with clearing. But, again, my understanding is that this is not wise to use for diving with a cold for all the obvious reasons. The other potential downside is "fuzzy brain." It doesn't affect my husband much, but personally makes me very spacy, so I'm glad I don't need it to dive.

p.s. How do the pro plugs work for your gf?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom