Why oh why is adding a GoPro beyond my grasp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I’d like to add video. Switching to video is possible with my rug but changing all the settings from the strobe settings is a big pain in the ass.

So GoPros have ball mounts, so easy-peasy, right? Just add one of these things, and put the focus light in one hole, GP in the other.
AD98CE78-EE7A-49FE-BEA0-563160699949.jpeg
Well, no.

So here’s my normal set-up, sans GoPro:
154AC7B7-9EE9-48A7-BDCA-AA79ED114E7D.jpeg
(F = focus light.)

So when I use the “double clamp” not only are each crooked, but the GP is so wide angle that the focus light is in frame:
AC656DCC-B153-4589-BFC6-BB8C9CAC633B.jpeg
So I thought, add an arm to the focus light to raise it higher. That “sort of” worked but you could see the focus light in frame, and it prohibited how far I could tilt the focus light down.
0A5814B2-36F6-4FEE-9AAE-F8D7D88A168B.jpeg
Swapping the GoPro with the focus light in that set up results in the same problem.

So I thought, to hell with the focus light, use the double clamp on one of the arm ball joints.
6C875D68-8153-4B5C-A058-103D918A1F58.jpeg
Not only was it insanely unwieldy, but it would get all crooked whenever I adjusted my strobe positions.

So.... is there a solution? Or is this a case of trying to do too much at once?

Love the drawings and feel the struggle!

My friend has slapped one of these on his dslr housing and called it a day:

images (1).jpeg

Any bare spots that could work for you?

Another idea might be mounting on the bottom of the tray? I've seen a guy do that for a Bluewater rig.

Oh, this is my housing:
16E61694-A22C-45F4-B2BE-3429770E2242.jpeg

Love the drawings and feel the struggle!

My friend has slapped one of these on his dslr housing and called it a day:

View attachment 501267

Any bare spots that could work for you?

Another idea might be mounting on the bottom of the tray? I've seen a guy do that for a Bluewater rig.
I was thinking about that thing.... it sticks on— that adhesive has been strong enough?

I was thinking about that thing.... it sticks on— that adhesive has been strong enough?

Hmmmm. I don't know what sticky stuff he used...

I think the real GoPro mount adhesive is pretty good at being sticky... Had it on surfboards, one on my rebreather case too. It's not going anywhere.

Maybe someone else can reassure you, I don't know for certain.

First note: Are you committed to using your GoPro at the widest field of view? I never do.
Second note: Do I see some flat real estate on top of your hand grips? Is there a connecter that can be attached there? Of if not, is that a better place for attaching the stick-on GP mount?

I don’t have a fancy rig like yours and hate to travel with monster carryon case, so I just have this Sea&Sea DX2G 12mp with 1 strobe & 1 5000 lumen video light (Weefine Solar Flare 5000). I use the video light to give some light for the camera to focus on in the dark or during night dive. My strobe (Sea&Sea YS110) also has focus light in the center of the strobe too. The GoPro is sitting on top of the camera case hotshoe. The whole setup fits in a small backpack.

The videos & pictures are good enough to please my eyes. :D

On my next trip, I’ll get rid of my strobe & put another video light. 10,000 lumens should be fine to replace the strobe. Also, it’ll save the camera battery juice for not firing strobe light all the time.

F4DA2AC8-1923-4EAA-AE58-F3EABBA9B328.jpeg

Nitescuba makes a bracket that you can use to bridge between tray handles and mount several accessories on. You can put the GoPro in the middle and the focus light off to one side; that way they won't interfere with each other.

I use that mount on my motorcycle helmet, and it looks untouched even after daily commuting in 100km/h and max > 200kmh so should be quite good for underwater going a few knots :)

Nitescuba makes a bracket that you can use to bridge between tray handles and mount several accessories on. You can put the GoPro in the middle and the focus light off to one side; that way they won't interfere with each other.
Ah! the focus light on the arm... that does make more sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom