WHY Oh WHY????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was sitting here this morn drinking my pot of coffee and then it happens!!! My wife, who has decided to get certified to dive, even though she has a fear of the water, like no one has ever seen, poses a question to me. Why, she asks,is scuba gear, mostly all black in color? Then she points out that the wetsuits, gloves, masks, BCDs and the such seem to be mostly black! Then proceeds to tell me that if you use black gloves and try to signal an issue in front of a black wetsuit there is no real definition or contrast and in a low vis situation would be hard to see or discern. So now here is the QUESTION,,,why the black??? I have no answer for her and I want to finish my pot of coffee!!

I avoid black. In fact, my shorty is blue, but I rarely even wear it. I usually wear a tie die shirt and call it "Queen Angelfish Camo". The Jewfish turns darker, almost black, just before it feeds. All these little fish see a big all black diver and swim away, screaming "It's not my time! It's not my time!" They aren't frightened by an angelfish, so I get to see more fishies.

I tought the question would be why you took your wife diving.

As far as I know neoprene is made black becouse it's cheaper then dyeing it.

Others agree with your wife so now there are options! Here is one place I am looking for my future purchases of Stunning SCUBA suits!

That's a lot of money to pay for a wetsuit but, your dive buddy would NEVER have trouble locating you during a group dive!

Back
Top Bottom