WHY Oh WHY????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To clarify my question, it was why black when other colors are more visible. It had nothing to do with fashion or looking good. As I am in the process of learning to dive and hand signals are used wouldn't neon gloves be more visible?

It's a good question. Let's break it down a little. Are you only talking about colored gloves to make hand signals easier to discern, or wetsuits, BCDs, fins, etc...that might make a diver easier to see at greater distance in limited viz?

Aside from added cost and I suspect limited demand, the thought of me, for example, wearing a mostly black wetsuit and loud yellow or orange gloves, for example...I find that glaring contrast aesthetically displeasing. Now, if I were going on a very limited viz. diving (such as I hear Megalodon tooth hunting can be?) and someone said wear these so we can communicate even at close range, that'd be different. But not for diving more mainstream conditions. And nothing that makes my hand look like I'm holding out a lion fish if anybody's been feeding them to reef sharks or barracuda...

When I enter wild habitat above water, I don't get decked out in all camouflage (though were I a deer hunter I would), but I also don't dress to create a loud color display. Entering a wild habitat, whether topside or underwater, it just seems that subdued coloration might be less likely to spook things. Plus, I'm a guy...the idea of soaring over the reef in hot orange, banana yellow or snow white full wetsuit triggers a natural 'Ugh!!!!' visceral response.

Richard.

When I enter wild habitat above water, I don't get decked out in all camouflage (though were I a deer hunter I would), but I also don't dress to create a loud color display. Entering a wild habitat, whether topside or underwater, it just seems that subdued coloration might be less likely to spook things.

Not at all a wise thing to do in the woods during the haunting season. Was jogging down the middle of a ski slope in NH one morning when a guy stepped out of the woods and yelled at me. I had been in his sights waiting for me to stop moving but fortunately I did not moving until I was close enough to him to see I was not a deer.

On a typical coral reef, what do you not see. A big hunk of black. Divers in black stand out from the reef. They do not blend in.

Plus, I'm a guy...the idea of soaring over the reef in hot orange, banana yellow or snow white full wetsuit triggers a natural 'Ugh!!!!' visceral response.

Richard.

This is the one and only reason. Most folks do not want to stand out. Heck, even when they want to be an individual they choose to do it in a way exactly like 10,000 other folks trying to be original in exactly the same way.

I see your point about hunting season; grew up around hunters. Yes, in hunting season, it's wise to wear some 'hunter orange,' which we were told deer somehow didn't see, so as not to get shot by hunters. But people still wore camouflage otherwise. Makes for an interesting fashion statement!

Richard.

Hunters wearing camo are another example of a group "putting on the uniform of the group". May be a reason for it but they all tend to look alike.

Hunters wearing camo are another example of a group "putting on the uniform of the group". May be a reason for it but they all tend to look alike.

Yeah! And they consistantly wear it out in public where there are no deer - LOL.

I do no speak for all, but America men wear shorts under their wetsuits. Not always the best choice because they will bunch up while suiting up. A banana hammock (speedo) would make a much better choice, but we just won't do it. I think black is the same way, not lays logical, but it is what we do...

I ordered a new wetsuit Sunday and on a whim decided orange arms would look cool. I did like the better visibility, but it was also the appeal of having something that would look a little flashier than every other blue on Black wetsuit. The color will fade pretty quick, but then it will look broken in...

Attachments

• wetsuit.jpg
    wetsuit.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I did like the better visibility, but it was also the appeal of having something that would look a little flashier than every other blue on Black wetsuit. The color will fade pretty quick, but then it will look broken in...

Maybe this is our chance at the big bucks. If faded worn jeans can be the in thing, maybe we can start a line of preworn, faded, torn, wetsuits and charge big bucks for designer wetsuits.

Maybe this is our chance at the big bucks. If faded worn jeans can be the in thing, maybe we can start a line of preworn, faded, torn, wetsuits and charge big bucks for designer wetsuits.

I could be in the "pee in them" department

Last edited:
I was sitting here this morn drinking my pot of coffee and then it happens!!! My wife, who has decided to get certified to dive, even though she has a fear of the water, like no one has ever seen, poses a question to me. Why, she asks,is scuba gear, mostly all black in color? Then she points out that the wetsuits, gloves, masks, BCDs and the such seem to be mostly black! Then proceeds to tell me that if you use black gloves and try to signal an issue in front of a black wetsuit there is no real definition or contrast and in a low vis situation would be hard to see or discern. So now here is the QUESTION,,,why the black??? I have no answer for her and I want to finish my pot of coffee!!

I always thought it was because all divers are descended from ninjas.

Back
Top Bottom