Why Place The Inflator Elbow In The Center Of The Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have one of Tobin's wings with the center elbow and have never had a problem with it getting in the way. The regulator sits above it. I use a Hog D1 with the long hose out the bottom of the turret, and I'm pleased with the hose routing.

don't you guys think DR's way, the hose will interfere the knob operation? It is probably not critical for single tank, but still nice to have the ability.

As for elbow in the center, I am one of the divers who will have issue. My tank need to sit as low as possible in a backplate to not have my head bump the first stage. Even withou my elbow, 1st stage hose routing touches the wing. With elbow there, I don't think it would look pretty. It is a very individual thing, and I have only known a few diver with similar issue as me.

How do you dive doubles? My hood has a permanent dent it from the ISO valve. Some how I've managed……….

Tobin

For double, there is actually a lot more clearance. The extras come from the relative position of the isolation knob vs the valve opening, and the lack of 1st stage. My isolation knob still actually point about 30 degree toward my head, I am still OK. And yes, I also have a dent on my 12mm hood

I am too lazy to take new photo. Here is my very starting setup. You can see how the first stage relative to the wing, camband at the crown break. Note: No, I did NOT dive with turret pointing up, it is just for position reference. And I no longer own the particular wing, plate and harness. But I think the tank position vs any wing should be similar

Attachments

• IMG_0608.JPG
    IMG_0608.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 182
For double, there is actually a lot more clearance. The extras come from the relative position of the isolation knob vs the valve opening, and the lack of 1st stage. My isolation knob still actually point about 30 degree toward my head, I am still OK. And yes, I also have a dent on my 12mm hood

I am too lazy to take new photo. Here is my very starting setup. You can see how the first stage relative to the wing, camband at the crown break. Note: No, I did NOT dive with turret pointing up, it is just for position reference. And I no longer own the particular wing, plate and harness. But I think the tank position vs any wing should be similar

Your picture confirms my point, the elbow fits above the tank crown and below the first stage.

Tobin

I asked the same question, but it does make sense that venting is more balanced with elbow in the center with the U shaped LCD wing. To solve the interference with the reg, which in my case is Atomic in down configuration, I just rotate the first stage a bit so the the elbow is centered between two hoses coming off my reg. No one says the first stage has to be vertical, you can rotate it any way to suit your gear and it works fine.

There was one more issue, in that inflator hose comes from the left side of the first stage to the Dive Rite power inflator which accepts the hose on the inside ( the right side of power inflator). I replaced the Dive Rite corrugated hose and power inflator, with a Zeagle BX system. This results in three changes: I went with a slightly longer corrugated hose which I prefer; connects the inflator hose to the outside (left side) of the power inflator, and gives me the advantage of the BX garden hose connection for flushing. The inflator hose now is neater following the corrugated in a parallel fashion. It makes it easier to carry a hose mounted knife and the addition of the DiveAlert device.

I was banging my head when I first got my kydex BP with 17 Torus wing. I swore fluently and with much feeling, and then got wise and emailed Tobin. It was an easy fix for what was basically operator error with improper adjustment of the hog harness.

I had my BP shoulder straps too tight. I let them out, allowing the rig with tank to ride lower on my back. No more head banging and the rig is much more comfortable around the shoulders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom