Why Recreational Triox ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Gibson:
Try the 30/30. Your head certainly won't be less clear than on a nitrox mix. I don't know what you will experience in warmer waters and not working hard. I can tell you if you dive 40 degree water that is very dark and deep, it will provide more substantial results. I can also tell you that a working dive (ie high flow cave) around 100 feet will yield positive results.

Sounds like another way to manage the risk is to simply choose to avoid deep, cold, high-exertion dives. Granted, that's not necessarily easy to avoid in caves due to their topoligical nature, but within the scope and context of Rec/OW, its a consideration applied during pre-dive planning.

Its not questioning of if there's a benefit in this circumstance: its questioning if the circumstance is relevent to a Recreational (non-cave) applications where there are alternatives to the benefit's application. In other words, "there's more than one way to skin a cat."

-hh

Uncle Pug:
This is not an example of name calling.
Please do not use the report post feature frivolously.

Calling someone a "stroke" is indeed name-calling.

I didn't see him use the word stroke. Anyone else see it?

You called yourself a stroke. You need to report yourself.

Yet more intentional misdirection. I've read Irvine's treatises and so have you.

Hiding a name-calling incident behind a curtain doesn't change what it is.

detroit diver:

You called yourself a stroke. You need to report yourself.
Sorry Genesis ... I have to agree. While some of your debates with others are informative ... the name calling never happened.

detroit diver:

Yes, I saw it. You won't see it if you're looking literally for the "S" word, because it was contained ("hidden") within another term's definition

There's nothing wrong with the principles of Rule #1 by itself, but the action of stating that one is "Invoking" or "exercising" Rule #1 has no logical bearing on the conversation unless the statement's underlying intent was to state that the target qualifies as the subject of Rule #1.

Since this is completely OT to the merits of Rec Triox, let's drop it and move on: do people agree or disagree with my statement yesterday that managing the dive plan's exertion level is also an acceptable risk management tool?

-hh

Genesis:
I've answered these questions more than once for you Mike, but I'll do it again since you asked here, and to my knowledge it hasn't been asked in this forum of me.

First, I am not "trolling." My questions are legitimate and they are intended to illuminate the basis, to which it exists, for the postulates advanced. "DIR" is not the only place that I advance such questions and pierce postulates, as a quick read here and elsewhere will show.

As for my unwillingness to take a GUE class, I have explained my reasons to this point as well. They are, almost singularly, related to the current unwillingness to debate the points on the table when DIR/GUE principles come to the fore and have an open, honest discussion of the postulates advanced.

Instead, when such questions are raised, the answer is to hurl insults, call names, refuse to answer and simply restate the postulate, none of which actually answers the question, or alternatively, tell the querant that such questions will be answered in the class and if you're not willing to pony up just shut up and go away. Indeed, more than once exactly that demand has been made.

The problem with the latter is that GUE is in the forefront in saying that one of the ways to evaluate a potential class and instructor is to ask lots of questions before one takes the class! So from where I sit, this is just talking out both sides of one's mouth - and frankly, having taking classes from more than one agency and finding all of them to be "gateways" and "card selling" to some degree as opposed to real learning experiences, I remain skeptical. (I don't mind buying cards so long as I know that's what I'm doing going in - its when I think I'm not that it pizzes me off!)

Further, my former experience with cult mechanics has well-braced me for such tactics, and trips one of my "BS Meters". One of the first principles of those dynamics is that any who question are to be attacked, denigated and told to go play somewhere else - in short, "don't impugn our purity." That works for religion, but it seems to be darn poor form in any concern like diving.

The very attitude I am talking about is displayed in your post right here that I quoted, and in DD's just prior. Indeed, it is reasonable to wonder if there are sockpuppets at play, given the amazing confluence and accusations hurled around. Why would I not assume that such a person's motives are not connected? Their actions certainly are!

If you actually saw me kit up for a dive, Mike, you'd probably think that I looked an awful lot like a DIR diver. I'll freely admit that I will likely never subscribe to the "DIR creed", in that I will always do things that DIR proscribes, most particularly diving solo. But I do dive a wing and plate, long hose, bungied backup and, most of the time, a can light. Much of what has been rebranded "DIR" from the roots of Bill Main's efforts is a part of my chosen way of diving.

I do not claim to have "all the answers", or indeed, even a good percentage of them when it comes to diving. Indeed, learning is an ongoing process; I will cease doing so only when I assume room temperature, which I hope is a long time in coming.

However, if GUE as an agency wishes to sell me some of those answers in the form of instruction then IMHO they darn well ought to entertain the debate over exactly what they're selling - and the logic behind it - prior to taking my money.

After all, does not GUE advocate that one interview, in depth, potential instructors and look closely at class content before plunking down money?

That's what's going on here - and answering with insults and telling people to "go away" and "go play in rec.scuba" doesn't go very far towards convincing anyone. As for the repeated offer you've made of "call me", both here and elsewhere to many, I prefer to conduct this in public. After all, there are many people who are considering further training - not just one. Should they not all have the benefit of being spectators in such a debate, and be able to judge for themselves whether or not the questions posed and the answers offered make sense? Why should not someone who is thinking of such a class, but has not thought through the questions being asked, be deprived of the discussion? If this is a discussion forum for DIR-style diving, and inherently includes some advocacy of that style, is it not only reasonable for the debate to take place in public, along with the advocacy?

I think so.

Thus far, I remain skeptical.

I can be convinced, but it takes more than insults and accusations.

I've gotten to post #147on page 10 and I just can't read anymore! I don't know how some of you can do it!? This is taking way too much energy to continue to the final post of this thread. I wish you all luck in getting out before (he) turns you to mush! Follow the arrows.....they lead out > > > >

Edited out by author................

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom