Why SEI is so important to me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Many of you here on the board know me and some know me pretty well. I have posted bits and pieces of my journey to instructor from time to time. But I've never really went into it in one thread. Or where it all started for me. Over the last few months I've been a big proponent of the program that replaced the YMCA scuba program. Now known as SEI Diving. Here is my story:

My first exposure to scuba is also one of my earliest memories. I remember watching a black and white tv show called SEA HUNT. I knew that one day I'd dive. Just did not know it would take nearly 40 years to do it. I learned to swim by the age of 5. By the time I was 8 I was doing headfirst dives off the 3 meter board, much to the protests of my mother. My grandfather who enlisted in the Navy at age 35 on Dec 8th 1941, taught me how to swim. He taught my brother and sister as well. He knew, as I do now, that anyone who is going to be around water better know how to swim. I'm glad SEI chooses this requirement as well.

We watched every Cousteau program as well as every National Geographic program that came on. My grandfather dropped out of school in the 6th grade to go to work. he never finished high school or got a GED but education was of primary importance to him. He educated himself as a business man and taught me to read before I was 4. At the time he died he had owned a business, sold it, retired and went back to work until he was forced to retire at age 81. He also spoke 6 languages and could read and write in three. Not bad for a drop out. But his thirst for knowledge got passed along to me. A systematic approach to learning was instilled at an early age. I miss him terribly at times.

Back to diving. Specifically Sea Hunt. Lloyd Bridges was my idol. He did things that were so cool. He is also responsible for me getting the worst beating of my life to that time and for a long time after. He was the one who inspired me to strap an old brass fire extinguisher to my back with a few old army web belts and attempt to go into our pool to "be like Mike" long before Jordan was even born!

I've always loved the water. Snorkeled since I could remember. But it was not until I was 44 years old that I would get the chance to try scuba. It was after a vacation where I snorkeled in the Keys and three months later in Cozumel that convinced me that snorkeling was not enough. I was also at a point in my life where I had the income and time to try something I'd dreamed about as a kid. My first inquiries were just to get certed so I could dive on vacation. I budgeted about 1800 for gear and training. Little did I know that would be just a drop in a very big bucket!

I got my open water cert completed in June of 04. I had all my own gear including 2 tanks by the end of the class. My first breath from a reg underwater was like going home. I soon did AOW and rescue within 3 months. By Dec I had my drysuit and did my first drysuit dives in the Florida Springs. I soon racked up certs in a number of specialties and started DM training under the PADI program. When I first started assisting with classes I loved it. It felt good to pass on what I could. It came to a point though where DM'ing under the PADI system was too restrictive and soon became boring. I grew so bored that I nearly scrapped the whole notion. It felt like indentured servitude and babysitting. When I literally dozed off underwater during an OW class I took a look at what I was doing and immediately stopped assisting.

At this time I met my technical instructor who was also a YMCA instructor trainer. I also started diving just for fun. That was one of the biggest lesson learned. I cannot do only training dives. Even though to me every dive is a skills dive and a learning experience, to stay sharp I need to dive just for me. After completeing intro to tech and Helitrox my tech instructor asked me if I would consider teaching again. In fact I had, as I was assisting another PADI instructor who also had a GUE background. I crossed over to the Y program and got my assistant instructor rating. This was what I'd been looking for. Under this program I was not just a babysitter or tank monkey. I could actually teach! During my internship I prepared lessons, gave lectures, and conducted pool sessions as well as skills in open water. Much of this was done under direct supervision of my IT but it was still me doing it.

By the time I took my instructor exam I had taught three classes. The exam was still not an easy one. 3 1/2 days and by the time we were done all of us were exhausted. Then the hammer fell as a short time later the Y announced it was sunsetting the program. I was angry as were alot of others. I became a Y instructor because the philosophy, ethics, and structure of the program fit me to a "T". I did not believe that scuba could be successfully taught to everyone in a weekend or two. The way the program was setup insured that the information necessary to succeed in this sport was presented in a way that focused on education and skills.

When I heard that Tom, Dan, Ken, and the others were resurrecting the program I immediately got involved. My enthusiam sometimes got the better of me in the beginning as it did others. It became necessary to change the name and to shut down the website for a time. It is still being worked on as I write this but when it comes up shortly it will be impressive.

I chose to come on board and sign on with SEI as it is still the program that mirrors my own beliefs and teaching philosophy. I believe in it enough to devote a significant amount of time to this position as rep here on Scubaboard. I've also just written the preliminary new underwater navigation course. There will be editing and proofing but it was fun and a labor of love. I'm also taking on the task of promoting SEI worldwide thru an email campaign. I believe in this program that much. Things you believe in are worth working for. As an SEI Diving instructor, scratch that, as an SEI Diving EDUCATOR, I have the priviledge and the responsibility of carrying on a 50 year tradition of excellence in scuba training. From a kid watching SEA HUNT to where I am now is a long way. But somehow it was the way I needed to take. As long as I'm able I will carry the tradition and training methods with me. I will teach to the high standards that SEI represents and do my best to use that to produce the kind of divers I would let my son dive with. Divers who are competent, knowledgeable, skilled, and safe. Divers whose training is based on education and skills, not profit or numbers turned out.

I have always been open to different methods of training. I frequently use some of the tips, tricks, and methods my OW instructor used in my class and the classes I assisted him with. Each class I've taken and virtually every dive I've done has given me that many more tools to use in assisting and educating others in this sport. SEI gives me the freedom to make use of all of these methods. The freedom to move skills around in the order they are taught to best serve my students is another reason I feel the SEI program is different than many others out there. In addition I came to the conclusion a while back that this sport is more than just an expensive hobby. For those of us who choose to pass on to others our knowledge and skills it is a serious undertaking with great responsibility.

To safely educate people to dive we need to use every tool at our disposal to insure they receive the best training we can give them. I believe that this means we need to be free to use whatever resources are available to us. SEI gives me the freedom to suggest, require, and use many different sources to accomplish this. I am not restricted to one book, website, or video to pass along the information I feel my students should receive. In addition given the course structure and time required SEI instructors are able and required to convey in an open water class information that others feel should be done in additional classes. Basic skills and knowledge should not require students to spend extra money.

In the beginning I stated my grandfathers lesson of a systematic and constant education. One always should strive to learn and improve. SEI requires me to engage in continuing education myself. I realized that not only do I benefit but my students do as well. Not only from my increased knowledge base but from my example. Students who see their teachers continuing to develop their skills and knowledge are more likely to follow that example themselves. To me an instructor who chooses not to adapt to new ideas and technology is doing themselves and their students a disservice.

The reveiw of many of the old program's specialties is a prime example of SEI's commitment to advance the educational value of it's programs. It's encouragement of individual instructors to take on the challenge of writing new specialties, updating them, and having a part in deciding what direction the agency should take in developing is another big attraction to me. There are many talented persons who are sometimes not given the chance to fully utilize their gifts. I choose SEI because there is no such restriction.

I am a part of this organization as is every instructor who wishes to be. I have a voice that is heard and I feel respected. It is a new endeavor. There is much work to be done. There is also alot of room for fun. I'm having a blast with all of it. Thanks SEI for enriching my life so much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom