Why so little hype for the Canon EOS M5? It seems pretty good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm wondering why there seems to be so little hype for the Canon's new mirrorless the EOS M5. The specs look pretty good. I got confirmation from Nauticam that they have created a housing for the M5 and it is shipping. Sales and reviews for the M5 seem good topside. This camera has the same dual-pixel autofocus as the 80D, In-body stabilization (electronic), the ability to use any Canon EF or EF-S lens with a Canon made adapter (not 3rd party), focus peaking and of course the unbeatable Canon White balance for colors. I got to try it on land and the autofocus using the adapter with EF and EF-S lenses was really fast. Granted it was on land and in a store so I stopped down to F22 and ISO 100 and the autofocus was still great (best I could do under the circumstances).

I don't know how well autofocus will work with the Tokina 10-17 fisheye, or a macro lens but hopefully one of shops will test it soon and let us know.

Now granted, Canon hasn't helped the reputation of their mirrorless line, the M3 and it's predecessors had horribly slow autofocus. However I got to try the M3 and M5 and 80d at the same time and the M5 autofocuses just like the 80D in live-view - MUCH faster than the crappy M3.

Downsides are no features which Canon is keeping only for their pro line anyway: no 4k video, no log, 1080p caps out at 60fps. But I think for someone not quite as hardcore this camera could fit all their needs or be a great setup up for someone switching to their first interchangeable lens system and keep their canon lenses as they grow.

Last edited:
I think the Canon M5 will be a great set up! I shot the original M for years. I loved the image quality but I finally got fed up with the slow AF and went to a 7D Mii. I love the 7D Mii but it is a pain to lug around and I miss the compactness of a mirrorless set up.

By all reports, the M5 has finally fixed the slow AF problem, even when using adapted Canon SLR lenses. This means the venerable 60mm and 100 mm macro lenses should work fine.

Also, no need to worry if the Tokina 10-17mm will work on the M5. Forget the Tokina and get the EF-M 11-22 mm. I have used both underwater, and in my opinion, the EF-M 11-22mm is much better in every way (price, compactness, image quality, lack of barrel distortion).

There is also a native EF-M 28 mm macro that might be fun to use underwater. Although maybe too wide for real macro, it might be good for close-focus wide angle, fish portraits, etc.

Also, Nauticam is promoting on their website using the 15-45mm kit with their wet-wide angle lens, which although expensive, promises to be a versatile set-up (full zoom and focuses close).

So all in all, this seems like a promising set up. I would get it if I were not already so heavily invested in SLR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom