Why the hating on Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

many tech divers get on their high horse, so to speak. It rubs some of the rec divers the wrong way. Bottom line is, pursue whatever type of diving you enjoy most.

I have wondered if this may be why a lot of rec divers diss tech. I have to say that the only tech diver I've ever seen was a complete jerk. But the better-than-you jerks can't make up the entire tech community.

Every group has their members who like to "get on their high horse" so when I come across it, I simply tell myself that they are showing their own self-perceived inadequacies/insecurities,

"I'm an advanced tech diver. That makes up for my four divorces, three trips to rehab, and multiple bankruptcies."

There are these people in every sport or activity, though... and they certainly don't speak for EVERY advanced/specialty participant in that sport or activity.

In any event, I am pretty far from being able to do anything close to this. But I'm glad to know that there isn't some crazy overhanging reason why the tech door would be closed for me in the future, if I get to that level. It sounds like an amazing adventure. :)

Tech diving takes a more thinking approach to diving. Many recreational divers do it with very little thought to the planning and execution of the dive. Once you start getting into the technical aspects, you realize the planning is everything and "plan the dive, dive the plan" isn't just a nice saying. I think you will also find more technical divers depending on where you are. Diving the Atlantic off the North East Coast, the St. Lawrence, the Great Lakes, Florida Cave Country all have conditions and sites that require the technical planning, equipment and mind-set.

It isn't about just diving to 330'. It is about diving a part of history, hitting the Andrea Doria in 200', staying an extended time on the wrecks in Truk Lagoon, going through cave systems to see amazing formations in crystal clear water.

Frankly I'd venture the people that talk down tech diving just don't "get" tech diving.

They lack the discipline and intestinal fortitude to venture forth, which given their attitudes would also suggest an ineptitude in their current form of diving.

They lack the discipline and intestinal fortitude to venture forth, which given their attitudes would also suggest an ineptitude in their current form of diving.

This was intelligible knowone, what's going on?

I am new to diving just log 50th dive but I look forward to the day I'am tech certified.We have a road ahead but to see that history it will be worth it.

So my question... why the hating on technical diving? Is this a common feeling among mainstream divers, or maybe just with the groups I've dove with? Seems to me that tech would be a really awesome thing to get into once I am at a more advanced level. Is it really one of those paths that people regret taking once they do? Not trying to tick anyone off. As I said, tech sounds very fascinating to me based on what I know about it. I'm just wondering... because so far, I have literally NOT MET ONE PERSON that had anything good to say about it. :-/

Dead and crippled customers are bad for business.

flots.

@ianr33 - Awesome link, by the way. I think I saw a documentary about that shipwreck.

Quite simply, its not for everyone. I tech dive because there is something I want to see thats either deep or a cave, often both. There is a high price to see it, both in time and money. To me, its worth it.

People that dive deep just for deep's sake are not going to find that very rewarding. Same thing if you think a cave is a pile of wet rocks or a deep wreck is a pile or rusty scrap metal. Its all about what you like.

+2. I also agree with this. My original instructor tried to dissuade me from pursuing technical diving by just simply saying it was too dangerous. I believe now, that I am where I am, it came from the fact that she didn't/ doesn't understand it & the research that has gone on behind the scenes to develop technical diving to where it is today. Since I have begun my journey into technical diving, it has improved my skills 1000- fold. That has trickled down to my recreational teaching & I feel has helped me to improve my students.
I also agree that it is not for everyone. It takes a certain mindset, as the environment can be harsh & the task loading can be great, at times. Generally in technical diving, there's no going straight to the surface, if a problem occurs, there is usually a ceiling whether real (rock or metal) or virtual (decompression)..... The problem must be dealt with underwater. That is the reason for all the redundancy.
In my book, there is nothing wrong with someone being completely content with strictly recreational diving or someone who wants to push those boundaries & enter into technical diving through the proper channels (training).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom