Why the hating on Tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are these people in every sport or activity, though... and they certainly don't speak for EVERY advanced/specialty participant in that sport or activity.

Couldn't agree with you more. I try to just enjoy myself, and dive with divers who feel the same way. There's plenty of tech divers who do just that.

I thought it was 50/50...either you live or not

Well with odds like that there is no chance I would ever.....

I am not a tech diver of any sort, nor do I play one on television. I am however, the type of diver that will always do what I can to maximize my time under water while not shorting my enjoyment. I prefer to do a long shallow dive over a short deep dive if there is nothing to see in the deep. There are however some deep dives that I would love to do which is why someday I will pursue further training that will get me to those depths/sites. I have no desire to go deep for the sake of going deep. I am not a maverick diver but some dives that I want to do simply exceed my recreational training.

I tend to agree that those that turn their brow up at tech diving, simply do not have the desire to do because they get everything they need from recreational diving. As Sam said, smile and move on. You are diving for yourself which is the way it should be.

I was just wondering if there was a reason why the people I've met seem so opposed to it... you know, something I'm missing... like "86% chance of death each dive." LOL

I'm sure the percentage is just a made up number. It's actually much less random than that.

"Not dying" requires carefully planning the dive including depth, time, gas required, emergency procedures as well as frequently practicing emergency skills with your buddies.

If you screw up on a no-deco dive, you'll probably live. If you screw up with a 60 minute deco obligation or "get lost" inside a cave or wreck, or don't treat your re-breather just right, you probably won't.

Those of us who know people who fell into the second group aren't so quick to think of technical diving as "regular diving, with more stuff".

If you have anybody at home who would be devastated when the State Police pull up in front of your house instead of you, I'd suggest a little more careful consideration.

flots.

I've never been certain what 'tech' means. Planned obligatory deco? Deep? Gas switching? What is tech anyway?

Just curiosity...

Somewhat new diver and already love the sport like crazy. Just got my EANx cert last night! Always looking to know and understand more about the fascinating world of diving. As I have learned more, I have become intrigued by tech diving. ...............

A few non-DIR personal observations:

First, a new diver will tend to get a harsher view of the tech world than seasoned diver will. It's probably a "slow down and get the basics first" type of knee-jerk reaction from the industry in general.

Second, to your point of 'hating tech': A rec-only instructor is unlikely to want to lose a potentially serious diver to the tech world. You are a precious commodity and times are tough. In their defense, they can teach you a lot before you go tech.

Third, A lot of us tech divers paid our recreational dues and wandered into the tech world wanting something more. This isn't such a bad path, you get to experience both sides. Diving is all about experience, take your time, it isn't a race. Tech diving is different, it is a personal choice, and it comes with added risk. Speaking strictly for myself, going tech was well worth it. I don't regret my rec training either, my tech training tended to re-inforce what was learned in rec and built from there. Now to speak to my "non-DIR" disclaimer. There are different schools of thought in tech diving, DIR is one of them. I'm best described as Hogarthian. If you are intending to go DIR, there may be a case for starting into it directly and bypassing rec entirely. This was not my path so I can't say. However, there are plenty on SB who can and very likely will. :eyebrow:

Funny how it all comes around, I recently got an air fill at my LDS instead of my usual 28% -immediately met with "Where you planning to go?"

Stay safe,
lowviz

All this is caused by ignorance of what technical diving really is. Some see it as a secret society using mysterious formulas and procedures. Add to this the possibility they met a jerk who presented himself as a tech diver and you have the seed of a future Inquisition.

I started as a rec diver at the age of 56. Because I tend to be a nurdish geek I researched the technique of scuba diving and proceeded to get further training. I have gained a lot of knowledge and have been able to enjoy this wonderful activity to a much higher level,

I have been underground in fabulous caves in Mexico and have penetrated historical wrecks in the St-Laurence river. I hope to do an incursion on the Jodrey this fall.

You got your EANx formation, step by step you can progress in the sport while enjoying it. First thing you'll know you will be a tech diver and some of your acquaintances wont be speaking to you anymore.

I am a (baby) technical diver and a cave diver, and I think what the people are telling is actually pretty true. Technical diving is expensive and time consuming, and if you don't have a lot of opportunities to go places where those dives are appealing, you won't do a lot of technical diving. I've found that here in Puget Sound. I am not a wreck diver, and a lot of our sites don't have a lot of life deep. I'm making my second trip to Monterey this year over Labor Day, and part of the reason is because there are such fun deep dives to be done there. I also go to Mexico to cave dive twice a year. If you can't make such trips, it makes the appeal of acquiring all the equipment and taking the (expensive) classes a little diminished.

Now, on the other hand, I think the skill set that comes with technical diving is WELL worth the time and effort. The additional planning and understanding of gas consumption and decompression is valuable to ANY diver, as is gaining the degree of control in the water that is required for tech diving. I still think a class like GUE Fundamentals, UTD Essentials or any number of Intro to Tech and cavern classes ought to be in the to-do list for anybody who dives actively.

When I sent an email to a bunch of local divers I knew soliciting people who might want to sign up for a GUE Fundamentals course with me. Here is a representative sample of the replies I received:

Was not sure about sending this to everyone on the list - but man there is no way I am taking DIR 101 -- a bit of a waste I think

Pay $700 to become a diving automaton...​

and

Just my opinion - and I could definitely be wrong - has happened a lot before. I have done a lot of reading into DIR and it is not my choice. I hope that you enjoy the course - there are a lot of good skills that will be covered - I just do not believe in the philosophy of - to be a better diver you must buy this specific gear and when you gear up this is where everything goes.- hence my last email. I meant no disrespect.​

I now know that DIR is much more than a standardized equipment configuration, and I know that there are many very helpful DIR/GUE folks on SB. However, the message is not getting out, at least not to some...

I used to work for a shop where the owner told me "Not to teach any of that tech sh$t" to my students. I never did, but should have, asked him, "What tech sh$t do you not want me to teach? Good buoyancy control? Non-silting kicks? Good buddy skills? Good dive planning? Streamlining your gear? What?" But, alas, I never did ask so I don't know his answers.

Anyway, an interesting article on the subject was published in Dive Training Magazine a few years ago and it is one I believe EVERY scuba instructor should read and take to heart:

Pushing the Envelope: Borrowing a Few Pages From The Tech Diver's Playbook

It isn't, to my mind, a great article about technical diving BUT it does very clearly point out what "recreational divers" can learn, and can benefit, from the technical diving community. Guess what, diving is diving -- it "ain't tech sh$t."

IMHO, it varies a lot. Here are a few that I have observed.
Some non-tech divers
  • Are jealous
  • Don’t appreciate the purpose
  • Are not willing to make the financial and intellectual investment so criticize to deflect
  • Feel that it is an unjustifiable risk
  • Believe many tech divers they meet try to portray their pastime as superior
Some tech divers
  • Spend a lot of money and effort to make Nitrox dives that could more easily be made on a single breathing air.
  • Spend most of their time underwater practicing drills
  • Brag about how deep they have gone rather than what they did or saw while there
  • Are more hung up on dogma and procedure than understanding advantages and limitations
Unfortunately, these traits often identify the least capable individuals on both sides. The best divers are eager to understand and improve rather than criticize. Nearly every human endeavor has justifications and disadvantages. There is plenty of foolishness to go around on both sides of the debate.

Back
Top Bottom