Why the placement of the Grim Reaper sign?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read the books, but am curious about certain practices.

The grim reaper sign, that says "Nothing past this point is worth dying for", seems to always be well back in the cave. Why is this? Why not at the opening, to warn off people before they enter?

Also, the start of the gold line is well into the cave. I understand that is to keep it 'out of reach' of casual swimmers. However, if the primary is tied off in open water, wouldn't that garner the curious to follow the string?

Thanks! :)

I agree, the warning signs are found either in the very front of the cave or where the cavern zone ends & cave zone begines. One of the main rules of cave diving is a continuous line to open water. Sure an OW diver can follow a primary line to the gold line, but it is much smaller & likely to be missed.

You'll notice that in most popular cave systems they are placed where the cavern or daylight zone ends and the cave zone begins. For example, at Peacock Springs if you reach the sign in Pothole tunnel, shield your light, and look up you will see a sliver of daylight - the cavern diver's primary light. The sign in Peanut tunnel is placed just before you start turning to your right and losing daylight in the process. In Devil's Ear the sign is where you can see light streaming in and just before you might be tempted to enter the Eye. In the Eye, the sign is on the floor where it might be better noticed than up on the ledge or in the corner and the cave begins to get a little more snug just past the sign.

For some people, a warning sign might attract undo attention and bravado. Having permanent lines come close to the entrance of cave systems that are frequented by open water divers might be a little more tempting 24/7 than a diver's temporary line. If the line might be reeled up at any moment it offers less security. Divers who think about sneaking into the cave might assume if they follow the temporary line they will run into cave divers who will be displeased and that might be its own deterrent.

Ahhh . . . in my vast experience of guided cave tours (all two of them), the signs were at the end of the cavern zone.

Just seemed a little late for the warning. :)

Personally, I think all lines should simply extend to open water.

All this would do is attracting open water and cavern divers to follow the line to see where it goes. While most people do have a brain and would not go into a cave when not certified to that level. Some open water people would see it as a challenge to go somewhere they should not. I've been in Jenny Springs and have seen open water divers on single tanks enter the devils ear into the cavern zone then come right back out. Stunts like that can kill someone. Now put a line there and see what happens if these type of people see it.

Also may I ask if you are a cave diver. Just wondering why you don't like running a reel to the main line.

All this would do is attracting open water and cavern divers to follow the line to see where it goes. While most people do have a brain and would not go into a cave when not certified to that level. Some open water people would see it as a challenge to go somewhere they should not. I've been in Jenny Springs and have seen open water divers on single tanks enter the devils ear into the cavern zone then come right back out. Stunts like that can kill someone. Now put a line there and see what happens if these type of people see it.

I submit that these people would be stupid, line or no line.

Also may I ask if you are a cave diver. Just wondering why you don't like running a reel to the main line.

:giggle: Jump to conclusions much? AJ said nothing about not liking running a primary.

I submit that these people would be stupid, line or no line.

If a line was visible at the entrance I think we would discover that there are far more stupid than we realize. It probably would become a beacon for those "stupid", and seen as an invitation to follow the line in, believing that the line alone would provide safety to divers who are simply not aware of where the true risks lie.

Ahhh . . . in my vast experience of guided cave tours (all two of them), the signs were at the end of the cavern zone.

Just seemed a little late for the warning. :)

On Grand Bahama the Stop/Reaper signs are 200 feet inside the caverns where the huge cenote type caverns give way to smaller decorated cave passages. The gold lines there just circle the cavern zone and the permanent lines in the caves are all white with T's. The gold lines in the caverns are not visible from the entrances either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom