Why U.S. Dollars?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whenever you travel (as a dive traveler or a common tourist) there are 2 economies at work... The dive based economy/tourist economy and the local economy. They are often only separated by a few streets. Cozumel is no different. If you want dependable boats, great rental dive gear and the dive experiences you are accustomed to in the states those operations have to operate on the U.S. Dollar. If you think a discounded BC from Leisurepro is expensive in the states... try to get one of those in Mexico at the same price! Heck if you're a dive op try to get a prop for a new outboard that would cost $400 in the states for less than $800 in Coz. As a touist (and we are all dive tourists at the end of that though we like that term "traveler") we can enjoy great exchange rates but only to the extent we are willing to stay and eat where the locals do. I personally love using the strong dollar to buy Pesos and dining on the back streets with the locals. When it comes to my accomodations and my dive ops I have no problem with them utilizing a Dollar basis or whatever their major tourist currency is.

Everybody hates Americans. Everybody loves green dollars.

Businesses pander to their customer base. Having prices in U.S. dollars grants customers easy cost recognition. Telling me what something costs in pesos or yen or what-have-you is useless; tell me dollars.

If the Cozumel situation seems strange, how about Bonaire switching to the U.S. dollar as the official currency?

Richard.

Dave, (Aldora) we are booking with you guys for 5 days of diving in December. Just waiting to see if our Canadian dollar goes up a bit. Its a lot like gambling!

Dave, (Aldora) we are booking with you guys for 5 days of diving in December. Just waiting to see if our Canadian dollar goes up a bit. Its a lot like gambling!
Just bring them some boat parts....

That is a very broad brush you are painting with. Many good explanations here, but if you want to pay in pesos - I don't know of a single shop that would not accept them. Ask to pay in pesos, and they will give you the pesos amount - which will be based on the exchange rate. Easy peasy :)

That is a very broad brush you are painting with. Many good explanations here, but if you want to pay in pesos - I don't know of a single shop that would not accept them. Ask to pay in pesos, and they will give you the pesos amount - which will be based on the exchange rate. Easy peasy :)

Quite frankly... there is a double edged word at work everywhere overseas... Spend Dollars outside the tourist area where everything is priced in Pesos and your gonna get burned by the exchange rate that business wants to offer... Spend Pesos in the tourist area that is priced in Dollars and you're gonna get burned as well. Bottom line... you pay in the currency the prices are quoted in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom