Why Was Support Dropped? Why No Response?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long term support is subject to many, many, variables - several of which have been covered here already.

I think one important often overlooked factor can be the ownership of the company. When a brand changes hands, that is an opportune time for the new owner that is not emotionally attached to what was done 20+ years ago to reallocate those questionable resources. Like it or not, you can understand how and why that happens.

Another factor is uniqueness of the parts. If a diaphragm or seat from 20 years ago is still being used today, or perhaps was also used on an item that has only been discontinued for a few years, then it is easy enough to build a parts kit. (Or at least for as long as the parts hold out.) Also simple enough if the part is a widely used "stock item" that is outsourced from a general supplier rather than a truly unique proprietary part that is/was produced in limited runs for limited uses. I just checked the parts in the service kit for the Aqualung Coustea/Spectrum/SEA 1st stage, and the filter is probably the part most at risk. If it is not a part in current production for some other brand's item, I could easily see that kit disappearing if/when it comes time to do the math on running another batch. Or course, they might very well be sitting on hundreds of that filter right now while only selling a few each year.

So bottom line, there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" rule or reasonable expectation of ongoing support. When buying used, you need to do your homework and remember the phrase "buyer beware." I see items offered for sale on this forum all the time that say things like "new, just bought last year" but haven't been manufactured for 10-15 years. The one generality I will suggest is that standard, overhaul service parts/kits will almost always be available for far longer than replacement parts that are only used "as needed" when something breaks, is abused, or wears out. Unless common to a more current item, those are often limited to "stock on hand" at the time the item was discontinued from the catalog.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom