Why was this post pushed back into the unread ranks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LACounty4806

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi everybody,

I'm a member and a reader of what goes on with this board. About a week ago a poster from Thailand asked about how he could do more to ensure that the diving he enjoys today will be there tomorow. The reefs are getting pretty jacked as we all know and this guy wants to help out. In short, he's concerned.

He wants to get his message out. So what do the moderators do? They shift him to an obscure page away from the diving public. This board has over 60 sub-categorys and really good issues are constantly lost as the most read board is the basic scuba discussion.

So here is the point. The oceans are jacked up. The Ocean Commision just comfirmed it. We've lost 25% of the worlds reefs in the past 10 years. The Great Barrier Reef will be dead in 50 years due to you and I. No question about that. And what do we worry about here? Buoyancy. Streamlining. Bad DM's. Bad agencies. Bad LDS'.

I don't give a damn what diving philosophy you follow or who your training agency is, what are you doing to ensure that the marine environment we enjoy is going to be protected?

Throw out your best. I'm expecting stuff about how it's some one elses fault and that you've never done anything wrong.

I don't disagree with you that the reefs are dying - however it's a little (IMO) over the top to blame divers. The main reason the reefs are dying is the rise in mean seawater temperatures due to global warming. Now we are ALL responsible for that. I consume power, I drive a car etc.
A few years ago there was an attempt to at least slow this process down - It's called the 'Kyoto Protocol'. Unfortunately some of the largest producers of CO2 emissions don't agree with the majority of scientific findings and won't sign up - mainly due to partisan economic interests. If you want to do something about it we need to pressure reluctant goverments into signing up - we need to drive smaller cars with less CO2 emissions - we need to support efforts to find cleaner power - we need to be more ecologically aware - ALL of us, not just divers.

Which post are you talking about?
Where was it moved?
Was it moved?

Within a forum the most recently posted to thread appears at the top.

If the thread was moved down the list because no one posted to it, find it and post to it and it will be bumped to the top.

KimLeece:
I don't disagree with you that the reefs are dying - however it's a little (IMO) over the top to blame divers.
I'll go out on a limb here, but I think by the phrase "you and I" he meant people in general, not just divers...

I'll admit to being lazy, but did the Ocean Commission's report make any realistic suggestions on how to slow, stop or reverse the damage? I'm assuming that global warming, general pollution, etc are the major players here...

Many of us scan the boards by hitting "new posts"...half the time I couldn't tell you what "area" of the board the posts are in. To the best of my knowledge, posts are put into the best category, no one has any agenda of trying to "hide" posts, they are simply sorting them where they belong in the big scheme of things.

Back in my previous life, I would explain to those that were inquiring if a post shuold be moved; or what forum should a post be best placed; to think of later. Lots of us use new posts to see what's active. We don't browse the individual forums unless we only want to see what's in those individual forums.

What forum the post should be in is what forum would best describe the post; or moreso what forum would someone be most likely to search for something that is contained in said post.

Without seeing the post, what forum it started in, and what forum it was moved to; I don't see anything to discuss publicly... Either let us know where it was, and where it went to; so we can judge if the moderators hid your post, or of they moved it to a more appropriate forum that you personally felt is 'hidden' from the other forums and chose to leave out that information so you would have something to whine aobut.

gj62:
I'll go out on a limb here, but I think by the phrase "you and I" he meant people in general, not just divers...

I'll admit to being lazy, but did the Ocean Commission's report make any realistic suggestions on how to slow, stop or reverse the damage? I'm assuming that global warming, general pollution, etc are the major players here...
Having re-read the post I see you could be correct. However I thought the complaint was because the original post was shifted away from the general scuba discussion forum to somewhere else. Actually I think that this thread also started in the general scuba discussion forum and has now been moved to site support (although I couldn't swear to that!)
Anyway - while I don't disagree with the topic - or the original poster from this thread - I can see why it doesn't belong in general scuba discussions. By trying to post such a thread in that forum, and making the references to the type of posts in that forum it seemed to suggest (in my eyes) that we as divers were mainly responsible for reef destruction - but were in some kind of denial about the 'big' issues and only concerned with 'small' things. Maybe I read it wrong - but if I didn't then I don't agree with that. Personally, if I had wanted to start this thread I would have chosen the Non-scuba related forum, as that forum is also widely read. Often there are many references to the damage that divers do to reefs in the general scuba forum - exactly in posts about bouyancy, training standards, diver skills etc. Why? Because a lot of people do seem to be genuinely concerned with diver impact on reefs and wish that others would develop the skills so that they don't have to do damage when they dive. They contribute to posts about diving to try to raise awareness levels - something I think is positive.
If the cause for the majority (by far) of the damage lies with global warming etc. then sure - lets discuss it - it's important, but it would seem to be more appropriate in a different forum.
As far as the Ocean Commissions recommendations go - I don't know what they said (maybe someone else does) - However the inter-governmental conference in Kyoto did come up with very realistic suggestions - the trouble is that some of the major players refuse to listen or to act upon these recommendations. Basically the call to have targeted CO2 reductions over a period of time is seen as a threat to partisan economies - so there is a refusal to ratify by some - making the whole process meaningless.

LACounty4806:
Hi everybody,

Throw out your best. I'm expecting stuff about how it's some one elses fault and that you've never done anything wrong.

No point in answering if you have already decided what I'm going to say.

Thousands of people die every day of starvation, and you're worried about a coral reef? We're talking about stupid little issues like scuba diving when there are such problems in the world?

Geez.

LACounty4806:
Hi everybody,

I'm a member and a reader of what goes on with this board. About a week ago a poster from Thailand asked about how he could do more to ensure that the diving he enjoys today will be there tomorow. The reefs are getting pretty jacked as we all know and this guy wants to help out. In short, he's concerned.

He wants to get his message out. So what do the moderators do? They shift him to an obscure page away from the diving public. This board has over 60 sub-categorys and really good issues are constantly lost as the most read board is the basic scuba discussion.

Is this the thread you're talking about?

It's currently in the "Ecosystems and Preservation" forum. I don't know where it started or who moved it if it was moved but it seems like a logical place for it and it's right near the top of the forum. The sub-catagories are of course designed to make things easier to find.
So here is the point. The oceans are jacked up. The Ocean Commision just comfirmed it. We've lost 25% of the worlds reefs in the past 10 years. The Great Barrier Reef will be dead in 50 years due to you and I. No question about that. And what do we worry about here? Buoyancy. Streamlining. Bad DM's. Bad agencies. Bad LDS'.

hmmm sounds like you're looking for an arguement or something.

Divers worry about the subjects you mention because some of them are part of every dive. Many of the divers here are in the process of learning to dive and other teach. General diving issues seen like sensible things to discuss on a scuba diving board. Make sense?
I don't give a damn what diving philosophy you follow or who your training agency is, what are you doing to ensure that the marine environment we enjoy is going to be protected?

Well I belong to the NACD, the NSS and the NSS-CDS. I support these organizations with my membership dues and I vote for the leadership. A major goal of these organizations is to sponsor research and promote the preservation of caves and underwater cave systems. The health of these systems is in danger in Florida, Mexico and elsewhere. I would love to pitch in more actual work but I live a long way from where the action is and my travel time is limited by my effort to stay alive and feed my family. Your membership dues and donations would be greatly appreciated.

Farm runoff into our local rivers and streams is a big problem also but it's a difficult issue. When farmers back off from the bank a way it seems to help but that costs them money so we don't see it very often. In a few places where they are though there are even lepard frogs comming back. I don't know if we'll be as lucky with the clams though. I once found a fresh water clam shell almost the size of a dinner plate but I've never seen a living one that big.

Can we count on your support?

Well, I'll agree that we all have a responsibility but, shoot, maybe it isn't my fault. I don't seem to recall being consulted on any of the issues that effect reefs or anything else.

Oh, yes and I can honestly say that I have never done anything to harm any reef anyplace in the world... Well, you know aside from driving to work in the morning or running the furnace in my house to keep warm in the winter and stuff like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom