Why we dive with a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is much better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.

+1 on that thought.

I can't see myself getting into a situation that I would need an extra tank.

This is called the "you don't know what you don't know" stage. Nobody plans to get into a situation where you need it but there are many ways you can end up there. A good buddy pair is as good or better in many ways. If you start diving with buddies new to you a pony may start looking better and better.

Pete

I have a perma-buddy. I just don't see how carrying an extra bottle is justified in the type of diving I do. If others see a need, so be it.

g2:

I don't think they're that heavy, and since I dive dry nearly all of the time, I appreciate the added ballast, (I use steel twins).

g2:

Used twinsets aren't all that bad, and even new, a set of AL80s isn't a bank-breaker.

g2:
Training.

I don't think it's too much. First learn a proper valve-drill, then learn failure diagnosis and solving. Diving with a solid team REALLY helps here.

g2:
Overkill.

I'll admit, I tend to have a issue with things like this, since one of my philosophies is "Go big or go home". What one person considers overkill, another might think is just about right.

I'll also admit since I started diving doubles last year, I LOVE IT. I love the stability, the extra gas and the redundancy, (though mostly the stability, rock-solid platform in the water). Even for non-overhead NDL dives, I prefer to dive twins all the time. I am even adjusting my dive travel choices towards operators that allow diving with manifolded twins. It's sad, (IMHO), how few there are.

Hopefully, your time on this board will allow you to learn from the experiences of others, so you don't have to make all the mistakes on your own.

A Low Pressure hose free-flow or breakage will drain a full Alluminum 80cf in 83 seconds. 83. that's a minute and 13 seconds. Assuming you have a full 80, and not one at 2800psi. And the drain started at the start of the dive, and not half-way through.

How many feet can you swim if you suck on your reg, and it goes "thwoop" and there is no air? After all, you will discover "no air" after an exhale, not after a full breath. See if you can make it to your buddy after you exhale, take your reg out, and swim to him-her. It's an eye-opening experience.

Thanks to TSandM for that suggestion.

I see some saying that if you need it you didn't plan your dive right or were not trained right ect. With that type of logic why have a 2nd regulator or even emergency signal devices, or a snorkel (unless your doing a beach entry)? Because if you were trained correctly and planned correctly your never gonna need any of that stuff, right?

There are so many what if's and I never have dived in the OP's locations/dives so I can't say, but I know I won't criicize a guy for thinking about the what ifs and planning ahead. FWIW I don't use a pony but would never count one out either.

....I see some saying that if you need it you didn't plan your dive right or were not trained right ect. With that type of logic why have a 2nd regulator.

I imagine you understand why divers in buddy situations carry an extra regulator attached to their primary tank.

This issue is not "planning" or "training".

What you have to ask yourself is: What possible issues could come up should you rely on a FIFTH regulator to solve a problem caused by ONE of the FOUR regulators you are both already working with?

Caviat: Running out of air is not an answer.

Nobody die from carrying too much gas.
If it gives you a sense of security then why not.
I wouldn't mind carry a 6L stage tank filled with 50% O2 on every 30-40m non-deco dive.
Double is too heavy and might not available.
13-15L fitted with an H valve is another option. But I haven't seen/used one in yrs.

I think that if a pony bottle is giving you a warm, secure feeling while diving that you aren't rationally looking at the risks involved. Sure an OOA emergency is something to be concerned about and avoided, but when you consider all the hazards involved in diving, (entanglement, DCI, narcosis, hypothermia, ear problems, current, hostile wildlife, etc...), it's just one of many problems you might encounter.

When I'm considering whether to pack a pony or not I usually ask myself, "can I do a CESA from our planned depth?" and "do I trust the gear I'm using?" If the answer to both questions is yes and I'm with a buddy, then I don't see any reason to bring a pony bottle along. If I've got good gear, a good buddy and the surface within swimming distance, then I don't see that a pony bottle makes me much safer.

On the other hand, if we're going down to 100'+, then I don't have any faith in my ability to do a CESA, we might possibly end up with a deco obligation, and more air is just plain better at those depths, so I pack a pony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom