Why we dive with a Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He will now ignore you to prove you wrong. Watch. :)

I have a dive friend who always carries a small pony bottle - 5 cubic feet. I have never carried one. I think each person should carry what makes them comfortable in the water, and have no objection to them. I am fortunate that most of the time I dive with my wife, and she uses very little air. If I am back on the boat with 1000psi, she has 1400. If I have 700psi, she has over 1000. I think of her as my "spare air" but I also am good about monitoring my air supply and like you have not had an out of air episode. There was one occasion diving the Spiegel Grove when we were safety stopping behind a number of other people on a "one at a time" to the surface plan, as conditions were rough, and a 3 minute stop became a 20 minute stop. I shared some air from Debbie, but still returned with several hundred psi.
I suppose the first time you need the pony bottle will be the justification for all the time you carried it. Just exercise safe diving practices. I hope you don't take unnecessary risks through a false sense of security that the pony bottle will save you.
DivemasterDennis

I carry one when the dive op requires it or I dive with IDs instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom