Why we dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, its mostly about critters. If I knew a dive wouldn't have at least some life, even at least inanimate life, I probably wouldn't do the dive (unless maybe a wreck).

To get away from everything.

To be in the present.

Increasingly, this is also becoming a reason. I am a worrier. No matter what I'm doing, I find I am often worrying about work, finances, loved ones' health, whatever. My mind will just go there.

Except underwater. When I'm underwater, I am completely in the moment.

Thought about it for years.
But between flying and skydiving I couldn't get a 24hr surface interval after.

Don't jump much now, so did a Discover Scuba and enjoyed it so much I jumped in with the Scuba course and my long time girlfriend as dive buddy.

A lot of my local dives are looking at mud, the odd rock or stick - and by all accounts (even my own) pretty damn boring - but if I am not getting out diving I get twitchy.

It's my thing. I can't explain it. I can't be bothered to analyze it. That might ruin it.

It's beautiful to be underwater. It's peaceful. And it's a calm and serene environment both mentally and physically as one can let go.

I dive for the peace. I have ADHD and no matter where I am or what I am doing I struggle to truly love in the moment. What I need to do for business, what is next on the schedule, where I am on current project, what are the guys doing tomorrow, what's for dinner, all run rampant through my head at the speed of light constantly. When I dive it ALL fades away, all that exists is the here and now. It is as close to meditation as I will ever get.

I dive because I am always curious. I love the unknown, it has pushed to spelunk, whitewater kayak and raft, skydive, hike, hunt and many other adventures. Diving allows me so many avenues to explore, so many sub categories to educate myself on.

I dive to grow closer to my son. We did our first DSD together and I was hooked. He likes to dive, I love to dive. We get to experience things most people never see, and I get to do it with my teenage son. This makes my soul smile more than I can describe.

I dive as an excuse to appease the wanderlust of my soul. I love to explore, love to travel, love to go new places and meet new people. What better excuse to visit amazing and beautiful tropical locations, than to dive.

I dive to challenge myself. There are always new gear configurations, limits, procedures etc. I can educate myself or take classes. I can learn from those who came before me. I can read about on my own time. I can practice when life allows. I can grow, both from a diving perspective and a personal one.

I dive because I love to. It brings me peace

I dive to stop language........in a structuralist sense.

A lot of my local dives are looking at mud, the odd rock or stick - and by all accounts (even my own) pretty damn boring - but if I am not getting out diving I get twitchy.

It's my thing. I can't explain it. I can't be bothered to analyze it. That might ruin it.
I've got a bit more to look at here in NS but I agree. Don't analyze it and ruin it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom