Why won't you accept seal replacement jobs from individuals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebri

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Oceanic trilam, and they (Oceanic) referred me to you to get my seals replaced. they even gave me your phone number. when I called you, and got transferred to the repair division (I think that's what they called it), they told me I had to take it to the dealer I bought it from and they would have to send it in, meaning I get to pay those bozos markup and add a third contact in the mix. They simply would not accept a job from me individually, wouldn't give me pricing, wouldn't do anytrhing but refer me to where I bought the suit.

So, I ended up getting someone local to do it. But back to my question, why do you do that? It seems you're protecting the LDS's at the diver's expense. :no

divebri:
I have an Oceanic trilam, and they (Oceanic) referred me to you to get my seals replaced. they even gave me your phone number. when I called you, and got transferred to the repair division (I think that's what they called it), they told me I had to take it to the dealer I bought it from and they would have to send it in, meaning I get to pay those bozos markup and add a third contact in the mix. They simply would not accept a job from me individually, wouldn't give me pricing, wouldn't do anytrhing but refer me to where I bought the suit.

So, I ended up getting someone local to do it. But back to my question, why do you do that? It seems you're protecting the LDS's at the diver's expense. :no

What they are doing is protecting their dealer network. That network is essential to their ability to sell thier drysuits.

Phil Ellis

PhilEllis:
What they are doing is protecting their dealer network. That network is essential to their ability to sell thier drysuits.

Phil Ellis

Speaking of that, Phil you should sell their Drysuits... There's not a USIA dealer anywhere in the states around you.

USIA has been the exclusive manufacturer of the Oceanic Bioflex dry suit. We are responsible for all of the warranty repairs and non warranty repairs for that particular suit. We also do some non warranty work on older brands of Oceanic suits. We do not accept repairs from individuals unless their is not a Oceanic dealer nearby. We have the same policy with our own USIA brand dry suits. This is a pretty standard policy in the diving industry. When we do accept suits from individuals, we usually charge the same price for the repairs as the dealers do. Most of the time, you actually save money by taking it to a dealer.

mike_s:
Speaking of that, Phil you should sell their Drysuits... There's not a USIA dealer anywhere in the states around you.

Actually, I desperately need another drysuit line. I will give Chris Richardson a call and see if I can get setup. In fact, I think he told me that he had already set me up as a dealer. Maybe someone from USIA will give me a call and confirm this. Until then, I will talk with Chris. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Back
Top Bottom