Why would you get a Solo Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well it use to be if you had a DM card you were covered and I still think it should be.

Personally, I don't see anything in the PADI syllabus >DM level that provides specific skills for solo diving. The dive experience for that certification is still ludicrously low, there isn't any level of precision taught with dive/gas planning etc, no training in redundancy and no self-rescue capability beyond the basic taught on the rescue diver course.

I've seen a lot of shoddy DMs wandering around thinking that their entry-level 'pro' card was some sort of license to do whatever they wanted underwater...solo, deco, cave, advanced wreck etc etc. Many of those were zero-to-hero types whose in-water skills betrayed a distinct lack of accomplishment. Even for those DMs with a wealth of experience - very little, if any, of that experience would directly prepare them for safe solo diving.

In the UK, I always found that a tech-level (AN/DP and above) qualification, along with technical equipment, would allow me to dive solo from charter boats. DM was never acceptable and rightly so IMHO.

Sorry if this cramps anyone's style, but I just don't see the DM cert as anything special - even more so when the card can be obtained in under a month from scratch by a non-diver.

Sorry if this cramps anyone's style, but I just don't see the DM cert as anything special - even more so when the card can be obtained in under a month from scratch by a non-diver.

How can the truth possibly "cramp anybody's style?" You are so correct here on so many levels.

Cencerning the term "Self Sufficient Diver," I contacted IANTD and asked:

"I have a CCR Self Sufficient Diver card (#103264). I am under the impression that the card equates to a "solo" diver card. If that is not correct could you explain what the card means."

This is the reply:

"The Self Sufficient is a certification which allows a diver to dive alone, although the point of the course is to make all divers self sufficient even when diving with a buddy or a team. However, your understanding of the certification is correct.

IANTD World HQ"

I have a solo card from ANDI - it says Solo Diver on it.

The only reason I have it is to dive liveaboards that require a Solo Card to dive solo. It works reasonably well for this purpose. Here in the PNW on charters I have never been asked. On liveaboards I just show it as my cert card if asked for a card. On liveaboards it generally short circuts the evaluation process and allows me to travel solo and not get paired up with an instabuddy or be required to follow a guided group.

Re status - you have to be kidding. I don't think I have actually showed it to other divers, just operators that want to have a cert card on file. The only time I think I have mentioned it to other divers (other than on this board) is in response to the "you are going to die/you're crazy" comments I sometimes get from some divers. Does not happen often, but that attitude still exists and telling them I am certified reassures them that I am not risking their vacation doing something I am not trained to do.

After hundreds of solo dives, I am gonna be legit in a couple weeks. Mainly so I can dive alone with certain dive ops. I couldn't care less about another c-card. I have a stack of them already, many of which I consider to be far more valuable (with regards to what I learned or had to do to earn them).

I am getting a solo cert for the reason you gave above. I have dived solo on organized boats before, but I have had to prove myself by diving a few days with a DM. After that, the crews were really cool. I am hoping a solo cert will eliminate or shorten the confidence building cycle (ie: boat crew gaining confidence in me).

So when you say with a DM, do you mean with one of the boat's tour guide DMs? I'm discouraged from getting a solo C-card because of all the complaints of boats not recognizing it, so it's nice to hear how others work things out with the boats.

I mainly solo just to try out new toys anyway, or other objectives that would bore a buddy to tears.

By the way, you live in roughly the same area as me so I imagine you've done some of the Monterey boats before. I've found that making a good impression with the staff above water, buddying up with a photographer (common around Monterey), and making "same ocean" buddy agreements with said photographers to be the best way to gain acceptance as a solo diver. After a few dives that way, and with it being increasingly obvious when you're ascending (and eventually descending) at different times, you've essentially gained unspoken acceptance from the staff without uncomfortable discussions about a practice that openly tends to be frowned upon -- a wink and nod kind of agreement. I've had success with two boats so far.
Doesn't work on every boat, mind you. I'm not going to attempt it on the local DIR boat (BAUE, which is a sub-group of GUE) just because I know attitudes there tend to be about as strict as DIR diving is. :)

I've now dived solo for 50 years (initially because we only had one set of gear between us, currently because of my focus on videography). Although the local dive boats have no trouble allowing me to do that, when I travel it would be nice to have the option of having other dive boats accept that practice. That is probably the only reason I'd consider a solo card. However, when diving a new location I generally prefer having a guide or buddy since I am not familiar with the site and the challenges it might pose.

I've now dived solo for 50 years (initially because we only had one set of gear between us, currently because of my focus on videography). Although the local dive boats have no trouble allowing me to do that, when I travel it would be nice to have the option of having other dive boats accept that practice. That is probably the only reason I'd consider a solo card. However, when diving a new location I generally prefer having a guide or buddy since I am not familiar with the site and the challenges it might pose.

Hello Dr. Bill, Maybe that's your problem why you're not finding your soul mate. Too much solo diving. Why not trade your pony bottle for a buddy or go with groups? Just an idea.

Adam

All that high tech SCUBA gear was real expensive back then, we were lucky to get one set togather.

So far the boats out here have not been upset about my solo diving, but I don't make a big thing of it and neither do they. Also, I have found that being an old diver usually gets me a lot more leeway with my excentricities.

If I was going to spend a lot of time out of my usual areas I might consider a solo card but, I would see how far my charming demeanor would get me first.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom