Why would you get a Solo Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I initially took the SDI Solo Diver course because I was missing out on some dives when buddies would bail on me. At the time I was not "tek" but I knew I would eventually be heading in that direction. I found the course very useful in self reliance. Probably the most useful drill we did was to practice alternate air source usage. Single tank divers are required to dive with a pony tank (small back up tank, NOT for deco) off NJ coast. I had tested this system before but this was the first time I was practicing drills and ascents with only the pony. Any dives I do solo are well within my comfort zone.

I got my TDI Solo just to satisfy the "requirements" of a liveaboard I was doing. The Instructor I called about it just laughed when I asked about it. He said that he assumed I had written the book on solo since I have been doing it for about 30 years... :wink:

I don't have the cert. I do, however, have a camera. And so do most of my buddies. And what I've noticed on many, many dives where I'm primarily photographing is that within 5 minutes of the dive, it's become a solo dive. Won't argue if people tell me i'm wrong about that, but it's a conscious and deliberate decision we make (yes, i talk to my buddy about it and if he's not cool i won't do it, but if he's taking pictures, he'll do it without even noticing it).

At the end of the day, since I'm solo diving in practice, might as well go into training and benefit from the experience of the course writers and the instructor. I'm going to do it again, so might as well do it as safely as possible.

I don't think it's bragging rights, and although i'm telling a bunch of anonymous friends here, i don't talk about it too much at the dive site except with my buddy. It stirs up too much of a mess. And finally, definitely not a bragging deal to non-divers; most don't even know of the buddy rule.

I am now thinking about getting my SOLO card for liability reasons if nothing else. After doing some reading and thinking, I realize that by accepting someone as your buddy, you are accepting some duty and liability for them. Even if you both understand this not to be reality as you will be separated quickly underwater, that does not mean their relatives will not sue you for such a breach. Guess I am getting scared of the lawyers and possibilities. Here is the link the the thread about the liability assumed with an instabuddy. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sc...7-legal-liability-dive-buddy.html#post6309192

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are under the impression a solo diver "cert" is "not rising to the level of a Master SCUBA cert," you may not have a full grasp on what solo diving entails. A Master Diver card is a marketing incentive invented by the recreational scuba industry to keep people engaged in diving. It's a freebie they send you in the mail as soon as you hit your 50th dive - which, incidentally, is 50 dives short of the minimum requirement for Solo - and says nothing whatsoever about a diver's skill level.

Solo diving, on the other hand, is not a "cert." It's a mindset, a philosophy, a set of skills acquired the hard way, without taking shortcuts.

I may be completely mistaken, but your post sounds a bit like what mainly draws you to solo diving might be a desire to be "different, on the contrary, and for the sake of adding another cert card to the collection." None of these motivations are good motivations for solo diving IMHO.

As for the specific questions:

Why would you get a solo certification? Because I enjoy diving by myself and want to do it as safely as possible; I'm an underwater photographer; I realized a long time ago that 90% of buddy teams, including me at the time, are in reality solo-diving; As a divemaster, I dive solo a lot, even when I'm with other divers.

Will it change your diving? Yes, it did. Perhaps not so much in terms of diving behavior, but definitely in terms of problem-solving approaches, mental rehearsing and above all, equipment configuration. As a matter of fact, I dive in my solo outfit even when I'm diving with a highly trusted buddy. For example, I never dive without a fully redundant air source and multiple cutting devices.

Will it be status symbol? No. I believe that the types of guys who view anything diving-related as a status symbol are those that are more likely to get hurt or die.

Which organization will you get your cert from (if you are getting one, that is)?
Again, sorry, but if you have to ask, there is your homework assignment.

:wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
A Master Diver card is a marketing incentive invented by the recreational scuba industry to keep people engaged in diving. It's a freebie they send you in the mail as soon as you hit your 50th dive - which, incidentally, is 50 dives short of the minimum requirement for Solo - and says nothing whatsoever about a diver's skill level.

It's not free..they will charge you $39.99 for the card (after you take a bunch of specialties) :D

Reactions: Jax
It's not free..they will charge you $39.99 for the card (after you take a bunch of specialties) :D

Point taken, James!! I guess what I was trying to say is that it's a freebie in the sense that you don't have to do much for it in terms of becoming a better diver. :cheers:

OK, newbie alert so be gentle. Ive been reading this forum recently since most of my diving is solo and never even knew there was such a rating. I have a Padi OWSI rating. Im considering booking a live aboard trip in the Pacific but was not aware of a requirement of a "solo" cert. I realize the best answer is to contact the specific operator Im interested in but Im curious, Is this rating a common requirement on commercial dive boats these days?

OK, newbie alert so be gentle. Ive been reading this forum recently since most of my diving is solo and never even knew there was such a rating. I have a Padi OWSI rating. Im considering booking a live aboard trip in the Pacific but was not aware of a requirement of a "solo" cert. I realize the best answer is to contact the specific operator Im interested in but Im curious, Is this rating a common requirement on commercial dive boats these days?

Newbie in regards to this forum or diving? Your profile would make it seem like this should have come up along the way - with 2,500+ dives as an instructor, that is. In any case, you should absolutely contact the operator. Many (most) of the big boats in tourist locations may take issue with your plan to solo dive and will buddy you up with someone on the boat. If that's something that will ruin your good time, it's better to know ahead of time. Also, be sure to get the very specific requirements for their operation in terms of certification. For instance, some agencies offer "Self Reliant" certifications and some offer "Solo" certifications. I've encountered an op locally that wouldn't take Self Reliant Diver and had to chase down someone to get the card that I needed. Also double check with them to see if any tech training you may have taken would suffice. Sometimes those certs are recognized as qualification to solo dive.

I guess in the end the big answer is "it depends", so call the Op to be sure.

Sometimes the 'self reliant' certificate is not enough? IANTD has a self reliant certificate.
I believe only TDI had 'solo diver' on his certificate.

I don't have a solodive certificate, but if you have it, you can dive solo on commercial divetrips?
But how do you have everything redundant? Mostly you dive singletank and single valve on commercial recreational divetrips.

Back
Top Bottom