Why would you not buy a Draeger Dolphin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're talking entry level. I don't want entry level anything.

caveseeker7:
How is that? Where is the good reason?
This sounds like the Dräger training is rolled into a very nice trip.
[snip]
That trip alone, intresting as it may be, could bust Mike's budget.
So that's probably not the good reason you're referring to either.
What is?

5 to 6 meters is the maximum depth in the dolphin observation area, so an Inspiration is a little overkill. (Kinda like those 'Jersey Wreck Divers who dive the Benwood with doubles and/or pony bottles) (You know who you are.)

So a Drager is just the right tool for the job.

You could even do this trip with a LAR-V!

:wink:

caveseeker7:
How is that? Where is the good reason?
But if you look at the little images you can see that they use AP Inspirations,
electronically controlled mixed gas closed circuit rebreathers. Not Dräger Dolphin
semi-closed units.
That trip alone, intresting as it may be, could bust Mike's budget.
So that's probably not the good reason you're referring to either.
What is?

Oops, let me answer Mike's question:

"My name is Dan, and I am an Inspiration Diver."

Hi, Dan

A Drager is a good solution:
1: If you are an image maker (photo or video)
b: They can be purchased for about 20-40% of what you would spend on an Inspiration/Evolution/Megladon/Prism
III: They cost about half as much as a KISS (both in funds and diver 'supervision' of the system)
4: They work just fine on Nitrox alone.
E: Much cooler than open circuit [Amish] scuba.

o2deep4o2long:
Here is a good reason to use a Drager.

While I agree that would be a cool expedition, in my case the realities are as follows:
- Cost of expedition: US$3895 ~ AU$5400
- Cost of airfare to Bahamas: ~ AU$1500

Total: ~ AU$6900

For that money I can do 138 boat dives in marine diverse environment (anything from sharks, dolphins, seals down to pigmy seahorses etc) or 690 shore dives. I think the econimics of the above statement speak for themselves.

I really don't need to invest such heavy duty cost into something that will only last 5 days. I'd much rather have 70-200 days of fun on open circuit (for now anyway).

cheers
Mike

o2deep4o2long:
5 to 6 meters is the maximum depth in the dolphin observation area, so an Inspiration is a little overkill. (Kinda like those 'Jersey Wreck Divers who dive the Benwood with doubles and/or pony bottles) (You know who you are.)

So a Drager is just the right tool for the job.

You could even do this trip with a LAR-V!

:wink:

Lar V is a nifty little piece of kit. Question: What and where is the Benwood located? Pt. Pleasant?

I love seeing double equipped divers doing 5 meter dives! :D x

Mr.X:
Lar V is a nifty little piece of kit. Question: What and where is the Benwood located? Pt. Pleasant?

I love seeing double equipped divers doing 5 meter dives! :D x

The Benwood (Key Largo, Florida) is over TWICE the depth that deep. It is nearly 11 meters, so doubles and stages may be the order of the day! :D

Back
Top Bottom