Why Zeagle trim pockets considered non-releasable weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-74

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Stiletto’s weight specs are:

• Integrated Ripcord Weight System:
    24 lbs. (10.9 kg) Releasable Weight
    16 lbs. (7.26 kg) Capacity Rear Non-Releasable Trim Weight Pockets

Yet both rear weight pockets have red handles identical to the ripcord handle, which, if pulled down, release the Velcro and make the weights drop down.

Handles are just a couple inches away from the rear dump valves, and can be accessed relatively easily. Why are those pockets considered non-releasable weight?

probably for quick access when you need to drop weights fast.its easy to quick access the front ones .not so easy to reach the trim ones especially in an emergency .at least that is my thought

probably for quick access when you need to drop weights fast.its easy to quick access the front ones .not so easy to reach the trim ones especially in an emergency .at least that is my thought

That was my understanding too, and that's the way I always looked at my BC pockets. But my drysuit instructor's take this past weekend was that they are releasable because of those handles, and well... I couldn't really come up with a solid counterargument.

1) Since they are not affected by the use of the Ripcord system, they would be categorized as non-releasable from that aspect.

2) Non-releasable because you would never be able to release them yourself?

I actually added a second set of trim pockets on my upper cam band so I can run the bulk of my weight in the back for better trim. I guess if you really had to you could manage dumping them, even more so if you removed your BC but it wouldn't be as easy as pulling the ripcord.

1) Since they are not affected by the use of the Ripcord system, they would be categorized as non-releasable from that aspect.

That makes sense. That whole bullet point is titled "Integrated Ripcord Weight System".

2) Non-releasable because you would never be able to release them yourself?

I think you can, although I never tried. They are right next to dump valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom