Wide-Angle conversion lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hector1959

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I found in my old stuff 2 conversions lens I had used with videocameras more than 10 years ago. One Raynox 0.66X, 52mm and one Kenko 0.43X fisheye 37 mm.
I just placed then in front of the Sony kit lens 16-50 to see thru them (I do not have the proper step-up and step-down rings) lookin for possible vignetting. The fisheye is unusable, it vignettes until about 35 mm and at this FL the FoV is more or less the same of the lens at 16mm.
But the Raynox might offer some interesting results so I ordered a 40.5 to 52 mm step-up ring to give it a try. It vignettes at 16-17 mm but it is OK at 18 mm, so I would have a FoV equivalent to a 12 mm lens. And it seems to be OK inside the 6" dome port.
I had bought the camera in a bundle including among some others gadgets e conversion lens which I do not trust too much and the WA has the same problems as 37 mm Kenko's. The macro is usable, but I do not trust the quality it might offer.
However, the Raynox is high quality CL, distortion free with no (??) light loss.
Has anyone tried it with the 16-50? Auto focusing issues?
Regards

I finally got the 40.5 to 52 mm step up ring to use the Raynox CL. Unfortunately results weren' t as expected.
I did some test in the air (with and without housing) and images are extremely soft on the sides. More than soft, too out of focus.
Besides, using it becomes a "hard task" since I had to put the zoom ring on the lens, then the CL and the introduce this inside the housing and accomodate the zoom ring with the frngers.
I didn' t even try to test it underwater. It was a pity, At 18 mm with CL I had the equivalent of a 12 mm lens with no vignetting but it was only sharp in the half-center

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom