Wide angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Col_CCC

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello

Is a .5x better than a .7x in most shooting underwater. Is it better or worse to use a .5x in low light/night dives.

Thanks
Chris

Col_CCC:
Is a .5x better than a .7x in most shooting underwater.

It may depend on the camera. My camer will not go as wide as most others. Even when I use it indoors I find myself trying to back up through walls.

Also it depends on the water. If the viz is poor you ned to get close, Like 18 inches or closer. A wider lens lets you get closer to a subject

I have a flat port on my housing. The flat plate magnities just like a dive mask. I thing it is 25%. You would need a .7x lens just to counter the effect of the flat port.

I think a _good_ .5x lens cost more then a good .7x lens

At night the closer you get the less light you need.

Watch that a .5x lens works with your ousing. You don't really want to see the inside of the housing in the corners of the image

I use a .7x lens on a trv33, fat port in So Cal water with vix typically 10 to 30 feet
I will shoot subject from 12 inches to 8 feet if the viz allows

Thankyou for the reply. At least someone had some input on the subject. The housing is an Equinox for the Canon GL2. I don't have it yet but I was looking for some information before I bought. The dive lights I will be using are two UK Light Canon 100 HID's. The waters I dive in mostly are Southern Ontario Great Lakes. But next year we are venturing to Truk Lagoon.

Thankyou again for your input, it is greatly appritiated.

Chris

Wide angle is great for large fish/creatures, wrecks or scenery shots. You may find that medium and small creatures won't let you get too close. In thoses cases a W/A lens is not your best choice.

On night dives, W/A can be tough too since you need more light to fill the frame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom