Wide Angle Lense Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I did a quick search on scubaboard and didn't find these answers so hopefully this is not redundant.

Is their a difference between a WAL for still camera's and shooting video?

What is the ideal WAL power for an underwater housing that has a flat glass port? I have a .47x WAL. Can this be adjusted down via the zoom to prevent bowing of the picture? Are their any disadvantages in using an adapter to make my WAL fit my video camera?

Thanks for any tips you have!

Will

triggertravel:
Is their a difference between a WAL for still camera's and shooting video?
I have a Sony 0.6x lens that seems to work well on both my video camera (sony trv-33)
and my still camera (Canon A80). The WAL's 37mm threads fit the Canon and I use a ring to convertit to the Sony's 32mm threads. That said, the zoom on the TRV33 does not open up very wide. Most other Sonys go wider.

triggertravel:
What is the ideal WAL power for an underwater housing that has a flat glass port? I have a .47x WAL. Can this be adjusted down via the zoom to prevent bowing of the picture?
Easy enough to test. I'd be more concerned about color fringing and soft focus in the corners or seeing the insides of the housing in the frame than of geometric distortion. There are few straight lines underwater so viewers don't notice the distortion.

triggertravel:
Are their any disadvantages in using an adapter to make my WAL fit my video camera?
Will
As long as the WAL is a larger diameter then the camera's lens a step up adaptor can't hurt. I would not try a "step down" ring.

Thanks for the advice Chris. I think I'll buy a .6x WAL from Sony that fits my 25mm lens on the Sony. Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom