Wide Angle setup for NEX-7 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a_squeakycat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking for recommendations. I currently have the NEX-7 w/18-55 kit lens and flat port. Anyone have preferences for a WA setup, if so I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what lens and matching port. Not to keen on the fisheye. If you have example pics please post.

Thank you ! :D

Looking for recommendations. I currently have the NEX-7 w/18-55 kit lens and flat port. Anyone have preferences for a WA setup, if so I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on what lens and matching port. Not to keen on the fisheye. If you have example pics please post.

Really there are only 2 choices right now the sony 10-18 f4 or the zeiss 12 f2.8. I can't speak for the zeiss, but the 10-18 is a solid lens, sharp across the frame though a little soft in the corners at 10/11mm but it does a good job. I am using a nuaticam housing and port combo with the 7 inch dome which is great for over under shots (though an extra inch wouldn't hurt). From what i hear the Zeiss is a bit sharper, and of course faster though you are stuck at one focal length. Additionally, you would need a different dome port from zen 170mm i think and an extention ring to use it on the nauticam housing. A litte more expensive overall and at least for my needs just wasn't needed. Though for top side work, star photography, and CFWA the 2.8 might have been really nice. My one complaint is that there are for some crazy reason magenta corners and edges esp. at 10mm, for the most part you can just crop it out. But I have lost a great photo or two due to it. Espesally, noticable when doing long long long star trail exposures. I will post some pics tonight.

Thanks dlutzer, looking forward to seeing some of your work with this lens. Not a fan of the Sony 16mm + UW converter (VCL-ECU) ??? Zeiss 12 sounds like it will be nice but I think Phil R said that will require a 2 part port. Not sure I would like that.

If anyone else has comments or suggestions please jump in Haven't made a decision yet so twist my arm :blinking:

I love the idea of the sel16 + wide adaptor. Small form and great coverage. But with a 4invh dome port over unders are very tough. Plus taking a below avg lens and then putting more glass in front of it never sounded useful to me. Many do use that combo and I'm sure they can chime in but to me it just sounds like the results wouldn't make me very happy so I never picked up that lens in the first place.

I use the 16mm under the 4 inch acrylic dome quite bit but find it makes the sharks look a long way off. I agree dont really like the adpater My main lens of choice for WA, medium, and even fish close ups is the Zeiss 24mm under the dome. It is such a nice piece of glass and great for wrecks and for caves. It just gives me a lot of flexibility. Yeh sorry not truly WA but I really like it.

just a few pictures. All JPG. Not touched up at all the magenta is well controlled in the JPG but is more obvious in the raw files[

Attachments

• untitled (255 of 256).jpg
    untitled (255 of 256).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 170
  • untitled-166.jpg
    untitled-166.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 173
  • untitled-167.jpg
    untitled-167.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 150
  • untitled-192.jpg
    untitled-192.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 178
  • untitled-193.jpg
    untitled-193.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 161
  • untitled-250.jpg
    untitled-250.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 160
One other thing, the star trail was a 45 min. exposure, and I did not use noise reduction

Thanks, I was wondering how you got that shot.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2013 at 04:03 PM ----------

I use the 16mm under the 4 inch acrylic dome quite bit but find it makes the sharks look a long way off. I agree dont really like the adpater My main lens of choice for WA, medium, and even fish close ups is the Zeiss 24mm under the dome. It is such a nice piece of glass and great for wrecks and for caves. It just gives me a lot of flexibility. Yeh sorry not truly WA but I really like it.

Any samples you could post ? Does the Zeiss 24mm fit in the same 4 inch port ?

Thanks

Thanks, I was wondering how you got that shot.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2013 at 04:03 PM ----------

Any samples you could post ? Does the Zeiss 24mm fit in the same 4 inch port ?

Thanks

yes use the 24mm with the dome port. How do I upload images to this site?

yes use the 24mm with the dome port. How do I upload images to this site?

When you reply, up in the toolbox area of the reply window there is a Insert Image icon. It's 3 icons left of the spellcheck icon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom