Wide Angle setup for NEX-7 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wish we had more choices for the 4.33 port , as it's small for traveling. I use the 16mm with both WA & FE converters which is fine for video, but the soft corners become more obvious when printing large prints. I didn't know the Samyang 8 vignettes on the 4.33, first time I've heard of it actually. I keep waiting for Sigma or someone to make some small WA primes in the 10-14mm range for the NEX platform that will most likely fit the 4.33. Until then, I'm afraid we don't have much choice for WA other than the S10-18 and the Z12, both good lens from what I've read, the latter being superb. Both, however, using the larger domes and costing more than I want to spend. Of course, I'm a macro guy and do little WA. If it was the other way around, I'd get the Z12 and the ZEN dome.

ZEN does make a coupler for the NEX platform and recently came out with a macro set-up to use Canon lens with the Metabones adapter. I haven't heard of any WA ZEN dome ZEN combinations that might work with Canon WA's and Metabones, but don't really follow that thread. Phil Rudin is the go to guy for technical questions, especially for ZEN related matters. Any of those Canon possibilities, or the S10-18 or Z12 are going to cost of course.

I know Drkevbo had his S10-18 dome on eBay recently and took it down, most likely sold it on SB? I suspect he upgrading to the Z12-ZEN dome system. You might contact him to find out if he still has it.

Have fun with your NA-NEX7, a very nice rig. Hopefully we'll have more choice in the future: The NEX mantra: Wishing and Hoping, W&H, W&H, W&H….. LOL.

Cost was an issue for me as well. As it was I am kind of out the money for the Samyang. If I could afford the Zeiss and the $2000 port to go with it I would. Alas, I am just an amateur looking for a fun time in the water. I did hit up Drkevbo for his setup, but he got rid of the lens, and still needs the port until he gets a new one. I can be patient. I will keep the basics for my next trip, and look to beef up the optics for the next.

In my opinion, the S16mm isn't as bad as many say. Sort of like the bad rap the 18-55 gets, but it's still a fairly sharp kit lens and there are many test results saying so. Us pixel peepers keep wanting more though :) The stuff i'm getting with my 18-55 looks pretty good and not all that much different than my Canon macro set-up when I was lugging a Canon rig around. Some of the differences show up when one is printing large prints.

Have fun with your rig, learn how to use it and the art of underwater photography. The NA-NEX7 is definitely one of the most ergonomic rigs going and the 24MP is great. In the meantime the lens selection will improve. I think this next year we'll see some short wide angle primes come out. Until then, like you said, you can make adjustments in post and come up with some nice photos with the 4.33/16mm set-up.

Happy diving

Anyone have a comparison between the 4.33 dome with 16mm (With WE/FE) and the 7" with 10-18?

I often shoot stills/video of large wrecks at 40-60m depths, and am curious how the aperture differences affect the low light conditions.

I currently use the 4.33 with a samyang 8mm. Doesn't vignette at 4:3 ratio, but will at wide aspect ratio or high ISO. I have to use small aperture and ISO800 at depth, which does result in dark and noisy footage unless I can get good lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deco, what camera are you using? My Nex 7 does not have a 4:3 aspect ratio option (only 3:2 and 16:9). It vignettes heavily in 3:2 with the 8mm and only a bit on the sides in 16:9.

Sorry, my bad. I meant to say the nex7 1440x1080 video doesn't capture the 4.33" port sides, while at wider video aspects, it will catch the sides of the port; yes, it does vignette no matter what, and particularly obvious as you turn up the ISO.

I have the 4.33 dome and have used a number if lenses with it. 16mm pancake, fisheye adaptor, wide angle adaptor, 18-55 zoom, zeiss 24 and my favorite now is sigma 19. It is wide enough for me a crazy sharp. I liked it so much i bought a sigma 30 to use as well for closeups that dont require me to swim so close to fish, scaring them away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom