• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Widow sues medical doctor and training company

Discussion in 'Diving Litigation' started by DandyDon, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Freewillow

Freewillow Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    @uncfpn. No criticism on my part. No problem with this. Just a HUGE doubd about this in some other countries, like mine - Belgium.

2. Frontpointer1000

Frontpointer1000 Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199

Totally agree.

3. Frontpointer1000

Despite the physicians being divers, I would argue that that one point alone does not make them experts in dive physiology. Certainly, they may be, but the one doesn't make the other.

I've been diving with many physicians who were terrible divers and have dived with people who know no medicine but really understand diving.

Caveat emptor.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. Hawkwood

Hawkwood MSDT ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: None - Not Certified
    Oh please...I never said they were experts in diving phsyiology.

That being said, you have no idea what those folks that I deal with know, and more importantly know about me.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. Frontpointer1000

I agree 100%

Hawkwood likes this.
  6. EricTheDood

EricTheDood Contributor

This will definitely carry a lot of weight. Without getting into facts or law, the reality is that legal proceedings are stressful and painful. Nobody wins these things. One side just loses a little bit less than the other.

It's sad for the wife because regardless of her intentions, the fact that she bought the lessons is going to come around and bite her in the you-know-where, and it's going to be hashed and rehashed multiple times. It'll be 3-4 years before she can really begin to heal.

7. RandomGuy1

RandomGuy1 Contributor

Just emailed DAN yesterday and received a list of Dr's near my area. None really close though. I'm going to have to drive 1.5 hours. I used the send an email link from this page. DAN | Medical Referral Network

8. Zalick

Zalick Registered

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Read the article and all the posts. Nobody seemed to discuss or address the fact that the diver suffered an asthma attack during the dive on the previous day and had to abort and use a rescue inhaler. I'm not an instructor but I've been diving with lots of relatively inexperienced divers (without guides and I was the guide) and I would never let them dive again if they aborted due to an asthma attack. When I dive with new divers I also check their air every couple hundred PSI to gauge how much they are burning and make sure they don't get too low.

I'd be curious what you as an instructor, or other instructors on this thread, would do if you had a student who aborted the 4th dive of OW due to an asthma attack underwater. Would you let them dive again or tell them they need to see the doctor again and can come back on the next trip to complete certification? When I dive with known asthmatic divers, I make sure to ask them about their lungs after each dive and monitor they air during the dive, checking gauge and breathing rate, unless they are experienced, in which case I just pay attention as a buddy should. If they aborted a dive due to asthma I would recommend they see a doctor again before diving and refuse to be their buddy again until cleared.

Dizzi Lizzi likes this.
  9. Steve_C

Steve_C Contributor Rest in Peace

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Not true of a lot of doctors and dentists I know of. At 51 he could well be on number 2 or 3 that looks better in the sports car.

10. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    My wife has had moderate asthma for many years. It is generally very well controlled, but she does have exacerbations, particularly during and after a viral respiratory tract infection. She has been diving for 15 years and has never developed worsening of her asthma while diving. She avoids diving if she has had to use her rescue inhaler the day of or the day prior to diving. She has missed only a couple dives applying this restriction.

Using a rule like this, the diver in question should never have been diving. Exercise induced asthma would make it difficult to be a diver.
    Asthma & Diving — DAN | Divers Alert Network — Medical Dive Article