Wife describes losing husband - Maui, Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still don't know what an "emergency cord" is.

If you squint really, really hard, there is a thick black cord on the left of your scuba vest that has a couple of buttons on it. One is down and the other is up. The divemaster pressed the up button because there was an emergency. /jk

Usually my wife and I giant stride one after the other, but if we're part of a group and we can't go consecutively, we always wait at the surface for each other and always descend together.

Same with us, but when diving in a strong surface current (like we had in October in Cozumel) they suggest descending and meeting up underwater. That's when I get nervous. Much prefer to wait at the surface though.

The lessons here are that for blue water dives you really have to pay attention to depth and to maintain neutral buoyancy. If you have to kick down to maintain constant depth it means you're negatively buoyant and need to inflate your wing.

For deep dives 90+ feet you need to be aware of narcosis in yourself and stay close to your buddy to watch for signs of narcosis in your buddy. The good news about narcosis is it's curable by simply ascending.

Thanks for sharing.

I used to frequent climbing sites, which had a section for incident/accident reports. Is there such on Scubaboard?

Back
Top Bottom