Wife has 1/4 functioning left arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every diver is an adaptive diver: some more than others.
Well she had her arm torn completely off and reattached on 2008. I worked as a dive master with special needs and scuba company but they are located several hours south of me. She can do things with 1.5 arms I would need 3 to do. I find myself much less adaptive then her.

Should we just reach out to a local shop or is there a place in particular we should look?

TBH I can't see why she shouldn't be able to get a full standard cert. My instructor did some talking to PADI they don't care how you may have to change a skill from the default procedure to work for you, as long as you can demonstrate the objective of the skill safely. For example I am missing a leg, so I couldn't do a giant stride if I wanted to, but a back roll entry or my basic flop forward while seated was good enough.

I am sure some of the other mainstream agencies have similar policies.
I would have to say the biggest thing is donning and doffing the BC underwater. I just have a rigid backplate and wing for her to practice with in our pool. I know with a little more flexible harness or standard BC she could learn to roll in roll out of it just like I did.

I would have to say the biggest thing is donning and doffing the BC underwater. I just have a rigid backplate and wing for her to practice with in our pool. I know with a little more flexible harness or standard BC she could learn to roll in roll out of it just like I did.
I don't remember having to do that in Open Water class (naui). I guess it's possible I just forgot.
Edit: I looked at the NAUI manual. It doesn't mention doing it underwater. It does mention doing it in the water (at the surface) which imo is easier than climbing up a ladder with gear on anyway.

I also don't see it in my daughter's SSI manual.

I thought that was a DM skill rather than open water?

Well she had her arm torn completely off and reattached on 2008. I worked as a dive master with special needs and scuba company but they are located several hours south of me. She can do things with 1.5 arms I would need 3 to do. I find myself much less adaptive then her.

Should we just reach out to a local shop or is there a place in particular we should look?

I'd reach out to @The Chairman and take his class, regardless of any sort of arm issues or not. You're a cave diver so it would be ideal if your wife was taught from the get go with good buoyancy/trim/propulsion/communication abilities. Pete is one of the best at teaching that and is not that far away from you

@kelemvor it is a requirement with several agencies still. The key is to get the rig relatively neutral or ever so slightly positive so it moves around easily

I'd reach out to @The Chairman and take his class, regardless of any sort of arm issues or not. You're a cave diver so it would be ideal if your wife was taught from the get go with good buoyancy/trim/propulsion/communication abilities. Pete is one of the best at teaching that and is not that far away from you

@kelemvor it is a requirement with several agencies still. The key is to get the rig relatively neutral or ever so slightly positive so it moves around easily
I've done it since certification because I needed to adjust my tank once, but didn't do it in class. Seems like that would be a tough thing to do if you didn't have integrated weights.

I've done it since certification because I needed to adjust my tank once, but didn't do it in class. Seems like that would be a tough thing to do if you didn't have integrated weights.

usually only done in confined water. Most agencies require removal and replacement of the whole rig at the surface though which is a bit annoying.

I would have to say the biggest thing is donning and doffing the BC underwater.
This is pretty simple if you let physics work for you. Usually, the diver is floaty and the rig is heavy, so it's important for the diver to always stay under the rig during this exercise. In a prone position (face down), undo your belt, loosen the shoulder straps, move your left arm out and instead of trying to move gear, the diver simply rolls left while remaining under their gear. No they find themselves face up and out of their gear. To get it back on, simply roll the other way, to your right, allowing your right arm to slip into your BC first. Put your left arm back into the shoulder strap, tighten your straps, fasten your belt and walla: you're back into your BC. It's pretty graceful when done right and you don't look like a monkey having it's way with a football.

It depends on her comfort level. An adaptive Scuba Instructor, like for DiveHeart, would be your best bet. I am a DiveHeart instructor trainer which is why @tbone1004 recommended me. That and he feels that I am very patient and my students come out very neutral and relaxed.

Lake-
In the days before "adaptive" and all the programs existed, one of the guys in our dive club had only one arm. And he was certified just the same as anyone else, and could out-dive at least 3/4 of the other divers with no problem. Yes, he had some "special moves" in terms of being able to sling his mask back on and such, but having limited use of one arm shouldn't stop your wife from diving at all.
Ask around, find a shop with some instructors that are willing to work a little harder and perhaps are already familiar with the problem, and if anyone says it is a problem for them...move on down the list. If there's no one local, turn this into an opportunity to take a vacation and let a better shop in a nicer place get her certified while you're doing something else.
Plenty of folks have two good arms, and STILL have problems hoisting, carrying, or setting up their gear. The trick is all in just planning, and outsmarting the heavy stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom