Wife has 1/4 functioning left arm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone responded already, she can get the full certification, no problems whatsoever.
Any good instructor could help her with the gear configuration and will be able to adapt the skills to her capability.
Last summer I've dived in Aruba with a young guy ( Adv OW with more than 50 dives I believe ) who had the right arm not functional at all : he had both regs on the left side and a custom made wetsuit with a long side zip to allow him to close it using one arm only without help.In the water he was great

I have one arm and am Rescue certified.
I don't think it was much harder for me than others at the OW/AOW levels but here are some thoughts
- have an open minded instructor
- Group classes are fine but 1:1 is better. My instructor and I sometimes just brainstorm stuff in the pool or I spend time in the pool alone figuring it out. But all new divers should do that anyway
- I like the i3 dump but it's on the left so probably not so good for you
- learn tech signals. Tech divers have more one-handed signals than rec divers
- The only thing adapted was to have my reg on my good side - not a huge modification! (Oh and my drysuit, but that's a different story)
If she wants to talk to me, I'd be happy to chat anytime.

Geez...she had her arm torn off and still has .25% capacity? Not too shabby.
No reason she can't dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom