• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Wife will not let me dive without a dive master..

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Mscdex, May 23, 2014.

1. Mscdex

Mscdex Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    U mean to ladies man?

2. ccx2

ccx2 Barracuda

Im sorry, i can't make sense of that and don't understand what you mean.?

3. Mscdex

Mscdex Nassau Grouper

I'm pretty sure the name of that guy was The Ladies Man

4. ccx2

ccx2 Barracuda

Oh OK, Yeah The Ladies Man.

5. scagrotto

scagrotto Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Tim Meadows

6. Derek S

Derek S Divemaster

What about trying logic? More people are injured, per capita, going bowling than scuba diving....

That said, I'll echo what some others have said: I've been married to my wife for 14 years this years. It's a partnership. Neither one of us would ever retain complete veto power over another. If that's the case, maybe there are bigger issues at play here and you both should take a serious look at your relationship. Not wanting to sound harsh, but there has to be some give and take.

ChickenFried likes this.
  7. pasley

pasley Instructor, Scuba

Tell her you understand her concerns and invite her to come dive with you.

Often in a marriage, the concern voiced is not the true concern. Example "angry because you stayed out late with the boys" actually means "I was worried sick. You could have called and let me know where you were and that you were safe". So sit her down and ask her, since you were both trained together what her concern is. Tell her you are diving with a more experienced diver to gain experience.

Tell her you just bought a million dollar life insurance policy, that will significantly reduce her worry and when you call after the dive to tell her you are just fine, you may hear an under the breath "damm". I would also recommend a careful inspection of all you gear before the dive.

Storker likes this.
  8. dytis-sm

dytis-sm Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The wife may over-reacting but doing some initial dives with a dm is not a bad idea...Not for safety as much, as the tips you might get as a new diver about your diving style, equipment, etc. I was fortunate to coincidentally dive with DMs / friends in most my early dives, and their input helped me realize of diving mistakes I was making. Your wife may be recommending this for safety reasons but there could be a benefit to you in explaining the extra expense if any, and go out and have some fun diving. Along the way you may pick up some tips that can make you a better diver....

9. genxweb

genxweb PADI Pro

Man this is funnier then my coworker having to call his wife for permission to go out to lunch. Thoough in all seriousness sounds like she worries about you. You two need to sit down and talk or get help. If you are new into mariage it wont last unless their is communications as well as give and takes.

Now I am not sure if this has been said as there too many pages to read but go become a dive master :) That will solve that issue. Continue diving and learning, keep taking more classes as they are with certified leaders and when it is time take the dm class. Problem solved.

10. GrandpaScuba

GrandpaScuba Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives:
    Tell her she can't drive without a driving instructor. Certainly driving is more dangerous than diving?