Wife's impending hysterectomy and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txgoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Caveat: I just sent a question to DAN. But hey, I am surfing SB and distracted. Will update when they respond.
Main question: How long before she can dive again?

EDIT: Laparoscopic surgery

For the record, this post is not intended to circumvent her doctor's thoughts. The main gist is simply to gauge if a non-diving doctor is way off base on recovery time. Much like non runner docs may evaluate when a runner can return to workouts differently than a runner doc might. I'll ask the question of the surgeon in the recovery room, as well as follow up doc visits with her primary.

Any folks with surgeries and recovery times and when you dove again? I realize that all recoveries can be different. Not looking to rush or risk anything. Just a general ballpark thought on when sutures are considered "healed", etc within the scuba context.

New diver, new DAN member, a bit embarrassed of my post after getting a sub two hour response time from DAN. For anyone doing a forum search later on, their response is below. I really suspected that it should be more than the 7-10 days to have stitches (do they even use those anymore?) removed, but had no idea after that. 3 weeks on the low end, pending check-up visits. That kind of time is easy peasy.

"Thank you for your e-mail and membership support. There is no unique waiting period after this type of surgery related to diving. Once she has been released by her surgeon to resume all activities including exercise/lifting then diving is possible. Her surgeon will be able to provide the most accurate time frame but historically, barring complications, recovery is at least 3 weeks. If we can be any further assistance do not hesitate to contact DAN.

Divers Alert Network"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom